DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Visit site
Status
What books are considered best for neuroanatomy and embryo? For embryo, I was thinking of relying on UW and FA but I don't know if that's a safe gamble. I also have BRS Embryo, but I'm thinking that may be too detailed..

Has anyone used Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple?

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Haven't taken the test yet, so I can't say what's "best", but neuro is one of my weakest subjects and seems to be one of the areas where FA is seriously lacking. (Nothing on brainstem vascular syndromes? Did I miss this somewhere?)

In any case, I used Roadmap to help with Neuro during school and I just finished reading it cover to cover and I feel a whole lot better. Roadmap definitely helped my understanding a lot; although it may be a little too detailed in parts. I also used HY, mostly just for the images (CT, etc.) which are notably lacking in Roadmap.

Summary: if you're comfortable w/ Neuro and just want a quick refresher, I bet HY would be plenty. If you're like me, and still look for the dentate in the oral cavity, you might want to add something with a little more exposition, like Roadmap. Just my thoughts.

Edit: BTW, I'm sticking to FA & UW for embryo.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
MD/PhD Student
What books are considered best for neuroanatomy and embryo? For embryo, I was thinking of relying on UW and FA but I don't know if that's a safe gamble. I also have BRS Embryo, but I'm thinking that may be too detailed..

Has anyone used Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple?
I actually like neuro and have no trouble with it to be honest. I use USMLE ROADMAP Neuroscience and online sources for further studying. It works out well.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Is this the High Yield version you guys used?
http://www.amazon.com/High-Yield-Neuroanatomy-Speech-Language-Hearing-James-Fix/dp/0781758998/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209517842&sr=1-1

So overall you would suggest using both HY and USMLE RoadMap? Will that be a little much for a topic that will be relatively low yield?
As I said above, Neuro is one of my Achilles heels, so I needed to spend more time with it and to use a more in-depth book. If you don't, then don't. Plenty of people have used only HY Neuro and done just fine.

Summary: if you're comfortable w/ Neuro and just want a quick refresher, I bet HY would be plenty. If you're like me, and still look for the dentate in the oral cavity, you might want to add something with a little more exposition, like Roadmap. Just my thoughts.