Neuroanatomy and embryo review books?

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
    What books are considered best for neuroanatomy and embryo? For embryo, I was thinking of relying on UW and FA but I don't know if that's a safe gamble. I also have BRS Embryo, but I'm thinking that may be too detailed..

Has anyone used Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple?

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Nov 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      Haven't taken the test yet, so I can't say what's "best", but neuro is one of my weakest subjects and seems to be one of the areas where FA is seriously lacking. (Nothing on brainstem vascular syndromes? Did I miss this somewhere?)

In any case, I used Roadmap to help with Neuro during school and I just finished reading it cover to cover and I feel a whole lot better. Roadmap definitely helped my understanding a lot; although it may be a little too detailed in parts. I also used HY, mostly just for the images (CT, etc.) which are notably lacking in Roadmap.

Summary: if you're comfortable w/ Neuro and just want a quick refresher, I bet HY would be plenty. If you're like me, and still look for the dentate in the oral cavity, you might want to add something with a little more exposition, like Roadmap. Just my thoughts.

Edit: BTW, I'm sticking to FA & UW for embryo.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jun 7, 2006
      1. MD/PhD Student
        What books are considered best for neuroanatomy and embryo? For embryo, I was thinking of relying on UW and FA but I don't know if that's a safe gamble. I also have BRS Embryo, but I'm thinking that may be too detailed..

Has anyone used Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple?

I actually like neuro and have no trouble with it to be honest. I use USMLE ROADMAP Neuroscience and online sources for further studying. It works out well.

About the Ads

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Nov 20, 2004
        1. Attending Physician
          Is this the High Yield version you guys used?
          http://www.amazon.com/High-Yield-Ne...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209517842&sr=1-1

So overall you would suggest using both HY and USMLE RoadMap? Will that be a little much for a topic that will be relatively low yield?

As I said above, Neuro is one of my Achilles heels, so I needed to spend more time with it and to use a more in-depth book. If you don't, then don't. Plenty of people have used only HY Neuro and done just fine.

Summary: if you're comfortable w/ Neuro and just want a quick refresher, I bet HY would be plenty. If you're like me, and still look for the dentate in the oral cavity, you might want to add something with a little more exposition, like Roadmap. Just my thoughts.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.