Neuroanatomy/biology of Psychiatric Disorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aioo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my med school they ask a lot of question about the neurobiology/etiology/neuroanatomy of psychiatric disorders . And most books are hard to get through if you try to read it and take too much time.

Does anybody know a good review book about the high yield information of etiology/neurobiology/neuroanatomy of psychatric disorders? Or a video based resource is also welkom of course.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

The National Neuroscience Curriculum Initiative is an incomplete but nonetheless solid resource for topics like this. A list of their available learning modules is available here: www.nncionline.org » Learning Modules

I'm sure there are YouTube videos but I don't know of any personally to say that they're good. Review articles of most disorders will usually include at least a summary of the neurobiology as known contemporarily.

The difficult thing is that a lot of this work is still fairly "cutting edge" in terms of understanding the "etiology" for psychiatric disorders. The areas of the brain that are thought to be involved in various psychiatric disorders are fairly well known, but the understanding is not yet sophisticated enough to stay with certainty "this part of the brain is why this person developed _____."

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a big fan of Neurobiology of Mental Illness by Charney, Nestler et al. Fairly comprehensive.

View attachment 218876

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with textbooks is that they are dated and biased. I would actually go to pubmed (even as a med student) and look for review articles byt the experts in the field (ask your psych attendings who these are). These are easier to read and often more appropriate. If you don't mind "alternative facts" you could also read Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology

Reactions: 1 users
thanks everyone for the help :)