Neuroanatomy confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archimedesxx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am studying for Step 1 and I am interested in what others have experienced with Neuroanatomy on their exams. I know the pathways, CT/MRI scans are HY but reading HY neuroanatomy is just plain disturbing:eek:Many random nuclei and pathways, GVS,GVA,GVS, etc are just making me go insane. I can reason out lesions but memorizing all these other random information is just killing me. Should I focus on the major tracts, be able to identify lesions, be able to point out the names of specific parts of the brain on CT/MRI and call it a day. What else should I focus on? Please let me know. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am studying for Step 1 and I am interested in what others have experienced with Neuroanatomy on their exams. I know the pathways, CT/MRI scans are HY but reading HY neuroanatomy is just plain disturbing:eek:Many random nuclei and pathways, GVS,GVA,GVS, etc are just making me go insane. I can reason out lesions but memorizing all these other random information is just killing me. Should I focus on the major tracts, be able to identify lesions, be able to point out the names of specific parts of the brain on CT/MRI and call it a day. What else should I focus on? Please let me know. Thank you.

Look at the Kaplan anatomy lecture notes neuro sections. They'll show you what you need to know.

Once you understand the major tracts in the spinal cord and major areas in the brain, I find the best tactic for the brainstem are the Rules of 4. A quick google will help you out, and it does a lot to make the brainstem less insane.