Neuroanatomy - HY or FA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okt3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a lot of Neuroanatomy on the exam.
Also would you say First Aid is good enough or HY is better?

Members don't see this ad.

HY is nice for an overview, but there are times in that book where the name "HY" is ironic.

HY is a must IMO. But like the guy before me said, it does go a bit too detailed. However it's really obvious when it does and you can gloss over it. But FA by itself is definitely not enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
No experience with HY Neuro but I like BRS Neuroanatomy.

If you liked BRS , then you def have an experience and will like HY better.Pretty much the same , just minus few things from BRS.

Back to okt3, yeah give HY neuro a read,esp the images. FA is not enough and what if your exam is mostly neuro? :eek: I have heard lotta people say this year they did have great chunk of neuro in there.

Hey, also USMLE Roadmap by White is a very good book. FA is excellent but dont let easy points go just because something was not in FA. Use USMLE Roadmap if you can and do the questions and or read the italics portion if you are running short on time.

HY NEURO is too dense. I would just refer to it as I looked at FA. FA does a good job at neuro. It is nice to refer to HY neuro brain stem lesion chapter when you are looking at the FA page about vasculature lesions. That way you get a picture and see why an occlussion of PICA would cause lateral medullary syndrome and it's associated signs. Ie. disrupting the spinothalamic causing contralater pain/temp loss from lower extremety and seeing that the ipsilateral loss of pain/temp from the face is due to lesion of spinal CN 5 nucleus.

Also HY neuro is good for straight up neuroanatomy because it has the imaging and cross sections. Other than that, FA does it well. FA neuro itself takes long to get through so I wouldn't bother reading another book cover to cover.

Hey, also USMLE Roadmap by White is a very good book. FA is excellent but dont let easy points go just because something was not in FA. Use USMLE Roadmap if you can and do the questions and or read the italics portion if you are running short on time.

Yesterday I did exactly that with USMLE Roadmap (Key figures and the italics) and felt like it was time well spent, especially when I went back over some of the neuro questions on uworld. Book is golden even if you just do the clinical correlations.