Neuroanatomy - Resources for putting it all together

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

410klawk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if anyone could recommend me a good neuroanatomy book I would really appreciate it.

I am specifically having trouble tying everything we are learning together. I feel very comfortable with each individual lecture, but when it comes to practical application questions I have trouble combing everything I have learn. For the gross anatomy aspect, I basically need a book or chart or something that will show me the entire path of an artery/nerve and its branches and not just give it to me in pieces.

Also, in dealing with the brain/brain stem I can't find anything that will tell me the name of a structure and at the same time give me its role in brain function and/or blood supply. For some reason I feel like I would have a much easier time learning with all of that stuff together.

Everything I have (including lecture notes) gives me one piece of info or the other and again, that is making me have trouble tying stuff together. I am much better at the 'big picture' type learning when I can break it down myself.

I also learn better by drawing things out but I am a horrible artist and the brain isn't exactly the easiest thing to draw, any suggestions would be welcomed here as well. And if anyone knows a good brand of 3d models that are useful (software or physical models) that would probably help as well.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought a lot of the illustrations in Purves - Neuroscience were excellent and it was very easy to read. May not be what you want but maybe check it out. There's a copy floating around online somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
if your library has in circulation "clinical neuroanatomy" by Snell, you should check it out....really helped me understand how everything fit together....I was falling apart when it came to the brainstem and how things were oriented/ how different fibers ran but this book did a pretty solid job of laying everything out there in a relatively simplified manner.

For me, high-yield neuroanatomy really made everything click and fit together nicely. It's short, and an easy read, so I highly recommend it to anyone who needs help with neuroanat

I found Haines's neuro atlas absolutely indispensable. As an atlas, it doesn't have a lot of text, but what it little it does have is extremely high-yield. It's a winner, for sure.

Websites:
http://www9.biostr.washington.edu/da.html
http://www.med.harvard.edu/AANLIB/home.html (for imaging)

I thought BRS Neuroanatomy was excellent. Realize this is a Neuroanatomy book (and thus deals with structure) and not a Neuroscience book (which more deals with function)

Textbook:
Fundamental Neuroscience by Duane E. Haines

Question book (has USMLE style questions AND goes with the textbook above):
Review of Neuroscience by Duane E. Haines, John A. Lancon

+1 on blumenfeld. Also, if you buy nolte the digital brain component that you gain access to on studentconsult.com is fairly useful.

Nolte's book was right up there with Devlin's biochem on the uselessness scale, in my opinion. I'd stick with the neuro BRS (which I actually thought was fairly mediocre, but it is good enough for hammering key points) and Haines's atlas plus class notes.

has anyone tried Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple? is it useful?

has anyone tried Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple? is it useful?

i feel that its useful once you have already taken a class in neuro...its best for review and preparing for the boards because it is real concise and touches on an overview of what is going on

for good detail and easy-to-draw illustrations clinical neuroanatomy by vishram singh has proved really useful..the clinical part is metioned with its respective topic in contrary to Snell in which clinical is discussed separately...in vishram the text is also easy to produce but one thing!!! pathways look to me hell..

High Yield Neuroanatomy is absolutely baller. It is short and to the point.

I read and reread BRS Neuroanatomy and scored in the 99.+ percentile on the Neuro Basic Science Shelf. That book encompasses everything you need to know, you just need to dedicate a lot of time to learning it well.