Neurocritical care at University of Maryland--residency and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drzing

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
curious if anyone has much info about the recent growth of the NCC department at the university of maryland in Baltimore. Enjoyed my visit and will be ranking them high (1 or 2) in the match but wanted some other people's opinions on the program.

Also, anyone want to comment about violence in baltimore? I know its not the safest city--but hows the area around the hospital?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

also if anyone else who interviewed for residency can give an opinion that would be awesome. I would really value opinions on this place as i've heard both +'s and -'s from other people applying that were so far out of left field...

I interviewed there recently. Good solid overall ICU training especially shock or neuro trauma. All staff new (hired from hopkins i suppose or MGH), Badjatia is the key if you wanna go there, but not sure if he will stay for long, once the program is up and running. Don't see it happening though for the next 3-4 years. No research as of now, setting up databases for now. Fellow seemed to be happy. In house call for some days now. 7-8 NPs, help run the unit otherwise with staff. Their fellows function as primary even during MI/SI/CI elective rotations. Crime is present but not much around the university. Good training courses offered in the initial part of your fellowship. All faculty is neurology trained neuro-intensivists. Fellows do no notes or orders except when on other services. Can moonlight during your fellowship.....

Reactions: 1 user