Neurohospitalist part time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varn1x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it feasible to work 0.5 FTE of a normal schedule of 7 on 7 off? meaning you would only work for 7 days a month?

Members don't see this ad.

If that’s what you want then I’d recommend doing locum. You can basically do few months of work and have the rest of the year off while still making very decent income.

Yes, like mentioned above- probably only locum, if u want to make any actual salary. Unless you are willing to take a massive pay cut (may be get paid 1/4th of others), some group might be able to fit you in, but why would u do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, like mentioned above- probably only locum, if u want to make any actual salary. Unless you are willing to take a massive pay cut (may be get paid 1/4th of others), some group might be able to fit you in, but why would u do that.
1/4th the pay for 0.5 FTE? are you sure? because in IM, I hear part time for hospitalists is very common and I don't think there is such a huge pay cut.

yes you can work as a locum, one place in TN was offering 1 weeks on and 2 weeks off with a base salary of 400K.

Reactions: 1 users
Many neurohospitalist programs value part time FTE's - either the other part in clinic or off. It lets you set up a program that can more easily flex in terms of illness, CME or vacation. Salaries are typically prorated by fte.

Schedules vary, but work well as 1 week/month or splitting with another .5 FTE and doing 3 days alternating with 4.

1/4th the pay for 0.5 FTE? are you sure? because in IM, I hear part time for hospitalists is very common and I don't think there is such a huge pay cut.

Yes it is very common to do shift work and paid full time, but that is almost always 1week on and 1 week off, or may be even better if you are working 24 hour shifts that require you to come in. But 1 week in a month is only possible as a locum. Remember that terms like "shift work", "locum" and "part time" are very different. In a non-locum situation, why would someone pay you a salary equivalent to someone who is working twice as much in the same place?

Many neurohospitalist programs value part time FTE's - either the other part in clinic or off. It lets you set up a program that can more easily flex in terms of illness, CME or vacation. Salaries are typically prorated by fte.

Schedules vary, but work well as 1 week/month or splitting with another .5 FTE and doing 3 days alternating with 4.

That is perfect! Thank you so much for your reply.

This is off topic but sorry. So it says under your name that you're Neurohospitalist/ IM hospitalist. May I ask how's that possible?

Yes it is very common to do shift work and paid full time, but that is almost always 1week on and 1 week off, or may be even better if you are working 24 hour shifts that require you to come in. But 1 week in a month is only possible as a locum. Remember that terms like "shift work", "locum" and "part time" are very different. In a non-locum situation, why would someone pay you a salary equivalent to someone who is working twice as much in the same place?
I get you. Thanks so much for your help

Can I ask 1 question about part time neurohospitalist position? I have an offer from a 250- bed community hospital. Part time, 9 shifts/month: 8am-8pm ( not strictly till 8pm, ok to round and go), then take phone call at home 8pm-next 8am ( it is said not heavy phone call at night ). Pay: roughly $1,785 per shift. Malpractice offered. No other benefits since it is a PT.

If you calculate by 12hours ( the employer calculates 12hrs only), that will be $148/hr. However, we take “not heavy phone call at night”, that will not be counting since we get a bit higher hourly rate in 8am-8pm.

They count 14 shifts per month like this as full time, which I believe it is too hard to do.

How do you guys think about this offer?

Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask 1 question about part time neurohospitalist position? I have an offer from a 250- bed community hospital. Part time, 9 shifts/month: 8am-8pm ( not strictly till 8pm, ok to round and go), then take phone call at home 8pm-next 8am ( it is said not heavy phone call at night ). Pay: roughly $1,785 per shift. Malpractice offered. No other benefits since it is a PT.

If you calculate by 12hours ( the employer calculates 12hrs only), that will be $148/hr. However, we take “not heavy phone call at night”, that will not be counting since we get a bit higher hourly rate in 8am-8pm.

They count 14 shifts per month like this as full time, which I believe it is too hard to do.

How do you guys think about this offer?

That actually is the same as locum position rather than part-time given no benefits. For locum, $1,785 per 24hrs coverage seems low unless it is a very slow place. There are locum positions paying that much for just 12 hrs.

I am currently doing 24 hrs coverage for 7 days straight at a busy comprehensive stroke and trauma level 1 center. But I will likely move on to a place with only 12 hrs coverage per day 7-on-7-off to avoid burning out. I recommend avoiding 24 hrs coverage. It appears more and more places are moving toward 12 hrs per shift schedule by hiring 4 neurohospitalist total or have the night covered by tele companies.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a low offer, even if it is slow -- that pager call is a major lifestyle cramp. Agree with Neurologo that 24h call is rough and even if the money is great you'll still end up in pain. I also don't like the philosophical idea of "not counting home call" in the buildup. I don't care how often the pager goes off. If you expect me to answer it within 5 minutes, you're paying for it.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing you can do is approach your local neurology group and ask for your prefer schedule- it never hurts to ask. I seen plenty of 1 week a month opportunities.

By the way, my rate as a locum doc is $3600 a day. I have a contract for the entire year ending next May. Some months I am only working 1 week a month (in fact 7 months). Currently working 15 straight weeks until the end of August.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
One thing you can do is approach your local neurology group and ask for your prefer schedule- it never hurts to ask. I seen plenty of 1 week a month opportunities.

By the way, my rate as a locum doc is $3600 a day. I have a contract for the entire year ending next May. Some months I am only working 1 week a month (in fact 7 months). Currently working 15 straight weeks until the end of August.

Good luck!

I pray I be like you when I grow up.

BOSS.