Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Neurology - 1 or 2 months req'd for Psychiatry?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by carolyn, Mar 21, 2004.

1. carolyn

carolyn Member
    10+ Year Member

Just a quick question...

Does anyone know how many months of Neurology is required to become board eligible for the Psychiatry? I looked at the following website and it did not even mention any neurology requirements:

http://www.abpn.com/certification/faqpsychiatry.html#8

I thought two months of Neurology was required but I may be wrong. If anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Miklos

Miklos Guest

Resident [Any Field]
    From the ACGME Psychiatry program requirements: http://www.acgme.org/downloads/RRC_progReq/400pr101.pdf On page 3

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3. Program Format by Year of Training
    a. First year of training
    A psychiatric first postgraduate year must include at least 4 months in internal medicine, family practice, and/or pediatrics. This training must be in a clinical setting that provides comprehensive and continous patient care.
    1) Neurology rotations may not be used to fulfill this 4 month requirement.
    2) One month, but not more, of this requirement can be fulfilled by an emergency medicine or intensive care rotation, as long as the experience is predominately with medical evaluation and treatment as opposed to surgical procedures.
    3) A psychiatric first postgraduate year should not include more than 6 months in psychiatry and must not include more than 8 months in psychiatry.
    4) A minimum of 2 months of neurology, or its full-time equivalent on a part-time basis, is required prior to completion of training. It is highly desirable that this experience occur during a psychiatric first postgraduate year, and it may include a maximum of 1 month of supervised inpatient or outpatient child neurology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miklos

4. prominence

prominence Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    so, no more than 6 months?

5. Miklos

Miklos Guest

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, if you look at the requirements for Psych PGY1, you need:

-4 months of primary care (internal, family or peds)
    -2 months of neurology

All you have left is 6 months to start Psych. If you delay the neuro till PGY2, you would have (theoretically) 8 months of Psych.

To be honest with you, I'd want to get the primary care and neuro out of the way as quickly as possible.

6. carolyn

carolyn Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the info, Miklos!