Neurology Match 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USIMGgrad

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have submitted my CAS application to the SF Match already. I have 91/224 on my step 1. I am a US - IMG graduate. Am I competitve enough to land one of the the good programs?

Members don't see this ad.

need more info...

Are you a US citizen? Did you do well in med school? What is good for you ("Top ten"? First tier? Second tier?)? Do you have a research background? Have you done clerkships in the US?

Anyhow, if you want to and applied pretty widely you will match at a good program. It may not be at a "top ten" program, but you will get a great training at most accredited programs in the states.)

What else? Please keep in mind that neurology is still IMG (esp US- IMG friendly) when it comes to good programs. Just stick in there, apply widely, go for lots of interivews, and show them that you will be a good resident and alumnus of their program.

Cheers,

-panch

I am a US citizen. graduated 26 in my class. I have research experience. I am first author in one paper and coauthor in 3 others. I have done clerkship in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
excellent. good for you. congrats on your acheivements.

esp w/ research experience and publications, you should get some good interview calls. where did you apply? (i might be able to suggest some other places you might want to consider)

your step 1 is 6 points above the average for those that matched (which was 218). you might want to consider taking step 2 w/in the next month, if you do well you can forward that info to places to give yourself a leg up.

-p

Since Im from NY I applied to all the NY and NJ programs. JFK medical center gave me an interview but Mayo Rochester and North Shore LIJ Manhasset sent me a rejection letter already. I also applied to Cleveland Clinic, Harvard/Mass General, Harvard/Beth Isreal, U Conn, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Jacksonville, and U Mass. All and all I applied to 23 programs. I took step 2 but I have to retake it since my exam was on blackout day and NBME lost the data. I'm a little tight on time cause I do research full time, teach anatomy and physio and have my own family with 2 kids. Im scheduled for the CSA on Sept 20 and planning on retaking Step 2 in October.

ouch, i can't imagine suffering through step 2 again, it was a pain in the a**.

Are you intending to stay in the northeast? if so, consider adding: U Maryland (the chair there is a great guy).

In addition, I would HIGHLY recommend applying to U Penn and Washington University (two top ten programs that I really loved and would've been very happy to match at.

Also consider: U Michigan, Rush (in Chicago), U Ab, U VA, UCLA, Emory. I interviewed at the first two and liked them a good deal (I just was looking to leave the midwest, unless of course it meant being at Wash U).

What else, I assume you applied to U Rochester, I've heard great things about the program and the PD. You should get an interview there, and I would encourage you to go.

As you know, in NYC the academic neurology landscape is dominated by Columbia for everything (where I did intervew) and Cornell for Neuro-onc (where I didn't). I can't comment on most of the others save the Harvard/MGH & BWH and Harvard/BIDMC,. Any more questions, you can PM me and I will try to respond relatively quickly... (I'm in my intern year now).

panch:

Can you tell me anything about Rush's program?

Thanks,
gmoney

I just got my Step 2 scores back. 232/94. I tink this is awesome. Unfortunately, however, I got them two days after getting rejected by such top places as Rochester NY, Columbia-Presbyterian, and Yale. I got a 225/91 on Step 1 and was wondering if they are biased to foreign schools. Does anyone think it is possible to send them my scores and try and get a new interview? Has it been done before?

Also, I have interviews at:
UMDNJ, JFK Neuroscience NJ, UMiami, Cleveland Clinic FL, North Shore Manhasset, and Hartford Hospital....are any of these considered "top-tier" neurology places? I mean UMIami seems to have everything there.

Ross Neuro:

I think its worth a try. I would call them up and tell them about your Step 2 score and then if they are interested I would fax it. Good luck!

Ross_Neuro

Well done mate!! I think u should call them. If U beleive the reason u didnt get a call is because of lack of your step 2 score, just go for it. All the best. I thought Univ Of Miami was really good place too, they have everything there as for as I could see.

Sri