Neurology residency-can i take step 2 USMLE w/o taking step1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Believe2008

BELIEVE2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an MSIII and want to go into neurology. I am at an Osteopathic institution and only took COMLEX. After looking at some applications, a lot of programs specify "Step 2" usmle...is it possible to take step 2 w/o taking step 1 as long as I took comlex? I remember a student from my school matching derm by taking this route...any suggestions?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been wondering the exact same thing.... any input would be much appreciated. Where are you thinking of applying for residency?

I believe you can do this, but you may want to ask around (among current DO residents and such) to see if it's really needed for your field. It's been my experience that not all programs specifically mention that they accept the COMLEX, even when they do.
Good luck in any case!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually talked to a professor about this today.......Yes, you can take step 2 of the USMLE without taking step 1, and in fact, he recommends most DO students who want to match MD residencies to take this approach. He said he has email correspondance with the AOA and ACGME regarding this issue. But more importantly, he said take step 2 because of several reasons:

1. Statistics show that DO students do not do as well on step 1 as do MD students (Poor USMLE step 1 score can discredit a good COMLEX score and grades)
2. DO students do signficantly better on step 2 (clinical skills) and this step is a better representation of how an applicant will perform in residency than step 1 (basic sciences)
.....He listed other reasons but I can't recall them at this moment.

The downside of this is that you must take step 2 before the residency match.......so at this point i'm trying to figure out when everything needs to be turned in for the match vs. when most MD students take step 2 (just to gauge when I should take it)....anyone know?

Do you need to take both ck and cs? or just step 2 ck? It would seem strange to me to need both, since isn't the cs a P/F grade?

I was told to take step 2 CK and don't worry about step 1. I really think its all dependent. Not taking step 1 in my opinion is not that much of a smart idea. Yes, step 2 CK might better represent ur performances as a DO student. For most places ( and u should definitely do ur research and talk to the programs themselves, preferably the directors or someone dealing with res apps), they actually want a step 1 score. I know of classmate that had to go back and take step 1. Step 1 is considered a more important exam than step 2CK when considering an applicant for residency.

While significant amt of program will take COMLEX 1 as equivalents, it will serve u best to take the damn USMLE step 1 exam and erase any doubts or uncertainty about ur chances, espicially if u looking into univ program in a moderately-highly competitive specialty.

What i found out myself is in vast contrast to what i was adviced on as a rising 3rd yr. I am a rising 4th yr now interested in surgery. Ur experience might differ, but for the sake of all ur hard work, make sure u find out urself not just what u are told. U are the one applying for the residency!

I am currently an MSIII and want to go into neurology. I am at an Osteopathic institution and only took COMLEX. After looking at some applications, a lot of programs specify "Step 2" usmle...is it possible to take step 2 w/o taking step 1 as long as I took comlex? I remember a student from my school matching derm by taking this route...any suggestions?
Thanks!

I am currently also a OMSIII student who is interested in doing neurology or IM, I haven't taken usmle step1 yet and I was wondering the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am currently also a OMSIII student who is interested in doing neurology or IM, I haven't taken usmle step1 yet and I was wondering the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

EVERY DO student should take USMLE since no matter where you think you want to go, what you think you want to do.....plans change. The last thing you want is to find out you hate a certain field & then not be able to go into the one you truly want since you never took USMLE.

EVERY DO student should take USMLE since no matter where you think you want to go, what you think you want to do.....plans change. The last thing you want is to find out you hate a certain field & then not be able to go into the one you truly want since you never took USMLE.

That is true, but I am debating if I should take usmle step 2 without taking step 1, I only did mediocre on my comlex step 1 and I personally feel usmle is harder than comlex. If I can't do well on usmle step 1, what's the point of taking it? thanks btw.

Im a DO student.

I took USMLE 1 and plan to take 2

Simply put, Allopathic residencies know the trick of not taking Step 1 and only taking Step 2.

Take both. Do well on both.

I did well on step 1 and everyone i talked to saysthats more important than my average comlex score and my future step 2 usmle scor