neurology residency of UC Irvine, UCSD, and Univ. of Southern California/LAC+USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know recent reputation about neurology residency of UC Irvine, UCSD, and Univ. of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center?
I checked scutwork.com. But no information there.

I will appreciate your information.

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of perceived academic reputation, I would say it's UCSD> USC> UC Irvine

In terms of actual clinical training, I would say it's more like USC> UCSD=UC Irvine

UCSD is obviously well known for its research in the neurosciences, but from what I have heard, its neurology residency program is not as well-respected. I actually decided to cancel my interview there (it was offered later in the season), so I really don't have a personal experience there to share.

As for USC, I actually liked the program. Everyone from the faculty and program director to the residents seemed genuinely enthusiastic. They had strong faculty in all the subspecialties, and clinical training itself was most-likely first-rate, due to the autonomy you have and the pt base. My only issue was that it was obviously one of the busier programs, and well, I'm a bit of a slacker.

As for UC Irvine, I had mixed feelings about the program. On paper, it looked awesome. Faculty in all the major fields, and a pretty decent schedule. However, during the interview itself, I just got a bad vibe about the place. Residents did not seem too happy and some of the faculty seemed indifferent. Also talked to some med students who rotated there and they shared the same feelings.

Overall, I felt reputation meant very little in regards to how I eventually ranked the programs since I was more interested in being a clinican rather than a researcher. My recommendation to you would be to stop being blinded by reputation in looking at programs. Look at programs that will be a good fit for you, not just what some stranger (including myself) says about a program...

Necrobump but I avoid making new threads.

Could anyone comment on what the reputation and relative ranking of California neurology programs in 2016? Interview experience and vibes from recent applicants would be great too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say UCSF is still regarded as the premiere/elite training program in CA and is regarded highly among the other top programs (MGH/BWH, Hopkins, Columbia)

Reactions: 1 user
I did not interview at UCSF, but interviewed at UCLA, Stanford, and UCSD last cycle. I really liked Stanford seemed to have a lot of energy and residents and faculty seemed like fun people. UCLA is a very strong program, it and Stanford probably have similar reputation as top 5-12ish programs. My perception of UCSD is the same as discussed above.

I did not interview at UCSF, but interviewed at UCLA, Stanford, and UCSD last cycle. I really liked Stanford seemed to have a lot of energy and residents and faculty seemed like fun people. UCLA is a very strong program, it and Stanford probably have similar reputation as top 5-12ish programs. My perception of UCSD is the same as discussed above.
Thanks for the input.

Does anyone know about Davis? I feel like it never gets discussed much on this forum when people discuss CA programs.

Last edited:
How competitive are some of these programs? what kind of step/third year grades would you need? ( I am a third year o si I apologize in advance if I should already know these things)

How competitive are some of these programs? what kind of step/third year grades would you need? ( I am a third year o si I apologize in advance if I should already know these things)

I'm not a PD but based on my conversations and research I'd say the answer to your question is "It varies wildly". CA programs are difficult to get into relative to a comparatively prestigious program elsewhere in the country so there is that factor. However there is a huuuge gap between UCSF and Davis or UCLA and UCSD or Stanford and UCI. They aren't in the same category at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any thoughts on Harbor UCLA and how it compares to the programs listed in this thread?

Reactions: 1 user