Neurology Resident Interested in Interventional Pain Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNFADABLE858

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a currently a PGY 3 in Neurology and interested in interventional pain. I am not interested in being in the OR putting in pumps but like the blocks and fluoro suite based procedures. Which programs do people know of would suit me where there is no OR and take Neurologists.
Thank you guys all.:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am a currently a PGY 3 in Neurology and interested in interventional pain. I am not interested in being in the OR putting in pumps but like the blocks and fluoro suite based procedures. Which programs do people know of would suit me where there is no OR and take Neurologists.

Even if you never plan to do implants (pumps/stimulators), having OR experience with these is very valuable. As neuro, you should apply very widely. Its best to just apply to as many programs as possible. Trying to predict ahead of time which programs are most neuro friendly is going to be hard. If you're a strong candidate, you'll likely get looked at by more programs than you might expect. Go for it.

Even if you never plan to do implants (pumps/stimulators), having OR experience with these is very valuable. As neuro, you should apply very widely. Its best to just apply to as many programs as possible. Trying to predict ahead of time which programs are most neuro friendly is going to be hard. If you're a strong candidate, you'll likely get looked at by more programs than you might expect. Go for it.

Agree with emd123, look at balanced programs. On the whole you likely have a better shot at large programs (4 or more fellows). The small programs have a higher chance of being spoken for before the apps even go out (in house anes or somebody's cousin, etc.). The big porgrams I think are also concious of trying to have some diversity (more likely to take a couple PMR/neuro/etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with still being exposed to doing the pumps and stims. Even if you don't want to do them right now, you might find them desirable later. You may at least want to do stim or pump trials and let a spine surgeon do the implants.

Also, there will be new technologies coming out that may require similar skills, and you can use implants to springboard the privileges for them.

USF (Tampa) is now a neurology based fellowship since the Gas program got shut down. They take three fellows per year and do tend to favor neurology, although they have taken IM, GAS, PMR as well since moving depts.

this is such a weird statement. Its like saying i am looking for a program that does not do left sided neck pain...

we do stims and pumps, it is part of what we do. It should be part of your training. If you elect not to do anything after your training, thats another story. But your training should be complete, then you pick what you dont want to do...

Last edited:
Stanford has two neurologists on staff in pain. One came through the Stanford pain fellowship and now jointly runs the headache center.

Hopkins took a neurology resident a couple years ago.