Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

neurology vs internal med competitiveness

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by flowermd, Mar 20, 2002.

1. flowermd

flowermd New Member

does anyone know which one is harder to get into if you want to go to an average school for both.
    I have board scores slightly above average but average to below average grades [probably in the 50th-75% in my class-- 3honors, the rest are passes]. however i took time off due to family reasons and am scared as heck that i can't get into either because of the time off. the schools i am looking at do have quite a few fmg's for both programs, so am wondering if i would still be looked at vs a foreign graduate with stellar board scores and at the top of their class. help?!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. task

task Senior Member

While stellar IMGs are always attractive to residency programs, I'd still wager that a solid AMG still has the edge overall. Obviously, top IM and Neuro programs are tough to get into for anyone, but if you're focusing on average programs in terms of reputation or whatever, I'd say not to worry. You should have no trouble matching somewhere you'd like.

4. Acinetobacter

Acinetobacter Junior Member

If you're an American grad you can do neurology. As long as you have a pulse and fill out an application, you can be a neurologist.