Neurology vs Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chancer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Which class did you generally find more difficult and why? Neurology or Physiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology. So many graphs and equations and non-intuitive concepts. Plus I did more neuro in college.

physiology. I came into med school hating anything with the brain, but ended up really enjoying our neuroscience block

Members don't see this ad :)
Another point is that neuroscience is basically one unified concept whereas physiology is a series of unrelated concepts (cardio, renal, pulm). So if you "get" neuro, you'll be aaaight. With physio, you may be a cardio superstar but an idiot with renal, or something along those lines.

Anatomy is worse than both of those put together though.

Interesting. To me physiology just made sense while neuro felt like more memorizing pathways that I don't remember much of anymore. Our physiology unit sucked a lot more than nuero but I thought that was the course director not the material.

Either way biochem sucks worse than those two classes combined. Those classes were interesting and fun by comparison. Biochem pathways make my soul hurt. Oh biochem, I hate you so! :p

edit: Oh and I loved anatomy.

Physiology was the ONE course during first year I truly enjoyed. Biochem was ok...however, totally hated Anatomy and found Neuro pretty unbearable as well.

I love physio.

But I've also already had it in undergrad... well, community college actually. But I had a really good teacher. (That was a long time ago. Time flies.)

I also haven't had neuro yet, so I can't answer the question directly.

:(

Most classes in med school fall into the spectrum of pure memorization to pure conceptual.

Biochem would be a good example of being on the memorization side.
Physiology would be a good example of the conceptual side.

Neuroscience is right in the middle... at least that's how it seems.

Biochem is all about memorization things by rote... sure you can try to make them make sense, but in the end its just a ton of memorization.
Physiology if you don't have the equations memorized you can probably still pull off a decent grade if you have a good handle on the concepts.

Neuroscience you need to be able to memorize tracts and how things look at various slices. You also have to be able to apply concepts dealing with lesions and reflexes.

Physio was harder but more interesting. Neuro was somewhat easier in that it was mostly memorization but it was also a lot more boring and involved learning a ton of more looking at brain slices and diagrams and tracts and crap. Physio is mostly logical.

Physio was my worst grade in m1 which is wierd cos i actually enjoyed it way more than neuro.