neurons!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackandgold1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok i might be going crazy but neurons do not regenerate right? or "grow"?

bc i was doing a kaplan bs section test and the passage based question was:

the statement that the somatosensory cortex can reorganize depends on what assumption:
A. neurons grow and make new connections
B. neurons with no sensory input atrophy over time

i was stuck between both answers, because the passage says neurons make new connections, yet i know from background info that neurons do not grow. so am i supposed to use background information or information from the passage if they conflict?

ps. i chose B but the right answer was A.

Members don't see this ad.

The cell itself can grow, making new connections. You probably misunderstood grow for replicate (no mitosis).

CNS neurons do NOT regenerate and PNS neurons DO regenerate....has to do with a growth cone being present. and neurons can make new connections (LTP) when considering memory.

someone else can and add to this, sorry if it was vague.

the statement that the somatosensory cortex can reorganize depends on what assumption:

i was stuck between both answers, because the passage says neurons make new connections, yet i know from background info that neurons do not grow. so am i supposed to use background information or information from the passage if they conflict?

Neurons in the PNS may regenerate if the soma is intact (region of protein synthesis) AND if some of the neurilemma remains (which acts to guide the regrowing neuron). Although for the majority of damaged neurons, they end up dieing off. The details of how this process happens isn't necessary. Just know that it's possible. In the CNS though, damaged neurons cannot be regenerated. That's also the reason why theres so much protective covering of the CNS (the spinal cord and the skull). It's also the reason why paralyzed individuals can no longer walk (damage to the CNS).

Neurons definitely can grow though. Just think about a growing fetus for instance. New synapses are constantly being made and guided to where they need to be until eventually the right connections are made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignoring background info: If we take that the cortex can reorganize as a given (as in the question) then the neurons must be able to grow and make new connections for this to be possible. The neurons atrophying w/o sensory input does not sound conducive to cortical reorganization, so we would not assume this.

if its in the passage go with the passage.