[neuropsych] Amount of courses in natural science you took in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trukLekniwnesor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a 4th semester student at University of Connecticut majoring in cognitive science. I'm wondering what chemistry and biology courses those of you in neuropsychology graduate programs took in undergrad? So far I've taken two general bio courses, general chem, plan on taking anatomy and physiology this fall, physiological psych, and brain biology in the succeeding semester. I looked at some of the courses available in the neuropsych graduate program and they all seemed like you'd need some biochem courses in undergrad to understand them.

truk

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't started my program yet, but I didn't take bio, chem or anatomy in undergrad. I did take a couple psychobio courses and labs. I don't think these courses are absolutely necessary to get into a good np prog (as in my case). I would definitely take the brain biology course though. Get as much lab experience as you can. It is much more important than the courses.

^^There is a neuroscience minor at UConn, I believe it's offered through the Psych department that you might want to look in to.
http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~wwwpsyc/NeuroPlan.html

And obviously, the classes that minor requires (PNB 251, psych 257, etc) have pre-requisites so if you could finish all those pre-reqs and then did the minor, that would probably be helpful...