Neuropsych focused internships and "therapy" expierences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuropsych73

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who have either matched to internships with a Neuropsychology focus or are familiar with these sites, how much does accumulating therapy hours impact being competitive for those sites? I know that most internships aren't always 100% Neuropsych focused, in terms of doing different rotations say in a hospital, but wondered how much therapy vs. assessment experiences may impact matching. As a School Psych student with a Neuropsych focus, I wondering what essentially is "more" important. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For all those who have either matched to internships with a Neuropsychology focus or are familiar with these sites, how much does accumulating therapy hours impact being competitive for those sites? I know that most internships aren't always 100% Neuropsych focused, in terms of doing different rotations say in a hospital, but wondered how much therapy vs. assessment experiences may impact matching. As a School Psych student with a Neuropsych focus, I wondering what essentially is "more" important. Thanks!

NP assessment hours and integrated reports are likely "more" important when applying to these types of sites. However, many VAs would like you to have significant experience providing EBTs. For you, as a school psych student, what will probably trump all is experience in clinical settings. You will need substantial clinical experience to have a shot a NP tracked internships.

In general, you need more experience with both intervention and assessment to get the NP internship slots. That is because you will spend half your time doing assessment so they want a broader foundation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies some according to the site, of course, but most seem to expect/accept that students with a neuropsych focus will often come into internship with fewer intervention hours and more assessment experience than other applicants. As a personal example, I only had, if I'm remembering correctly, somewhere between 200 and 300 intervention hours; I mentioned this multiple times as one of my weak points during interviews when asked, and multiple times was told, "that's expected in neuropsych."

That being said, it's also important to remember that one of the purposes of internship is to shore up training in areas where you might need some rounding out. Thus, if you're coming in with a ton of assessment experience, even if you match into a neuro spot, it makes sense to focus on trying to pick up as much additional therapy experience as you can.

It is important to recognize that most (not all) internship and fellowship sites want their trainees to have solid generalist training AND solid neuropsychology training. They can be very picky, so I'd want to have at least the mean number of hours listed on their APPIC stats.