Neuropsych - Neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsPhD23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for some places to gain more neuroanatomy knowledge outside of coursework through my program and NAN. I have all of the books but find I learn best the way I did in college- reading + notes + lectures. Since the NAN courses don't have lectures, I am going to skip signing up for more. I'm currently taking a course on coursera but looking for additional advice!!

Thanks so much,

Members don't see this ad.

Look for internship/postdoc programs who may have the option to take med school courses in neuroanatomy/neuropathology in their training plans. Less ideal, but still helpful is a placement that has brain cuttings. Marquette usually does a yearly neuroanatomy/brain dissection course that is pretty good as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a dicom set. Or freesurfer. Start reviewing talraich and MNI normalizations. Learn what anatomical areas you are looking at, until you can do it from memory. Then review pathology case studies from neuro radiology cases, as found in some journals and websites. Start testing yourself. Attend grand rounds. Review basic o chem and physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how solid your knowledge base already is, Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases is a classic text for neurologists and very helpful in actually remembering the anatomical facts that you could initially learn in many ways. May have more detail on PNS than you are interested in, though

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on how solid your knowledge base already is, Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases is a classic text for neurologists and very helpful in actually remembering the anatomical facts that you could initially learn in many ways. May have more detail on PNS than you are interested in, though

This was actually the coursebook in one of the courses I took. Anyone even tangentially within the neuro field should have the updated version of this on their reference rack. I still use it when supervising and training.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep!! I am well acquainted with the Blumenfeld book and wish I had a course/lectures to go alongside it!!

Seconding Blumenfeld. Side note, he is not only a gem of a teacher, he is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Regarding lectures, I found this extremely helpful. It has some lectures built in as well. Also, you may be able to find some free or cheap lectures through Coursera or other open platforms. Some universities make their lectures public. It may not be perfect, but if you need a lecture that might work. NAN also has a behavioral neurology course which would be helpful for your purposes.

I did not have formal coursework either. I found the NAN course and Blumenfeld very helpful. Beyond that, What was very helpful for me was reviewing imaging, test data, and neurological syndromes with a supervisor during cases. I developed a much better practical understanding of neuro anatomy that built on the above didactics to make it more real and accessible.