PhD/PsyD Neuropsychologists: How do you describe your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InYourHead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you meet someone new and they ask what you do for a living, what do you say? Do you say Neuropsyc or something else? If so, how do you explain it?

I feel like people really have no idea what we do.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to security concerns, 99% of the time, I tell them I'm self employed. It's sorta like how saying you're in asset management is shorthand for "rich enough that I don't work." Because,

If I want to explain neuropsych to someone: I measure various brain functions like memory. It's like when people have high blood pressure. Your physician doesn't' just ask you what your blood pressure is. He measures it, to figure out if its high or low and that's what he uses to treat. So that's what I do with memory and other stuff. "

Cognitive testing. Diagnostics. Some therapy/rehab. A small bit about my research.

Then... I'm gong to get more wine- you good?

Reactions: 1 user
I live in a van down by the river
or
I tell old people they have memory problems
or, to my kids
I give memory check-ups

From the peds side... I usually say something to the effect of, "I do assessments of kids. It could be because of some type of learning or behavioral concern, like ADHD, a learning disability, or ASD, but it's usually because they have a medical condition that might affect their mood, learning, or behavior. Maybe something like epilepsy, a genetic disorder, CP, or a brain injury."

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

"I work in physical rehab and provide consultation and assessment for cognitive functioning."

"I do brain injury evaluation. I mostly focus on return to work and return to play."

If I don't want to share I'll just say I work for the university and/or that I'm a researcher.

I tell people that a neuropsychologist utilizes objective measurements of thinking skills/abilities.

I work with brain-behavior relationships, meaning that I look at what people "do", and use that information to help diagnose and rule out various neurological and psychological conditions. I also provide therapy to address behavioral problems that tend to arise from different neurological and psychological disorders.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile