Neuropsychology APPIC/APA Internship Sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicologia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insider's information of where some of the better NP Pre-doc Internship sites are. APPIC website lists these intermittently, but I don't know how accurate the info is. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any insider's information of where some of the better NP Pre-doc Internship sites are. APPIC website lists these intermittently, but I don't know how accurate the info is. Thanks.

I'm also looking to neuropsych...but I can't say for sure what sites are "better" than others. Are you thinking school neuropsych sicologia? I know Children's Hospital in Minnesota and Kennedy Krieger have tracks.

I'm trying not to limit my scope to School Neuropsychology. I'm interested in some of the Pediatric NP sites as well. I have looked into some of them and am also curious how many former school psychs have gone this route. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would look at the appcn.com(org?) list of post docs, and the correlate those to appic listed sites.

My guess is that Div 40 website would list them as well.
Short List..
Mary Freebed - Donders - Grand Rapids, MI
Henry Ford - Podell - Detroit
Children's - Courtney/Foust - NOLA
Children's - ? - Chicago
Children's - ? - Boston
There are about 50 in US.

Thanks for your input, folks. I've ran the somewhat daunting task of looking at all the APPIC sites I'm interested in and determining whether to apply if they specifically list child Neuropsychology as one of their Major rotations. So far, I've turned up similar sites. Thanks once again!

My guess is that Div 40 website would list them as well.
Short List..
Mary Freebed - Donders - Grand Rapids, MI
Henry Ford - Podell - Detroit
Children's - Courtney/Foust - NOLA
Children's - ? - Chicago
Children's - ? - Boston
There are about 50 in US.

Hey, NeuroDr. Thanks for the list, but I've only been able to locate CHOC and CHOB as sites. What are these other ones or where might I find them? Thanks.

It's too bad that there isn't a clear and comprehensive online list of good APA neuropsych sites...

This is me going into my 3rd year in the midst of 2 overlapping practica and an outside job, I'm so tired and lazy that I think I'll end up waiting to see if someone creates this fantasy list so that I don't have to.

(I'm applying to adult track... :))

I really have nothing useful to contribute to this conversation, except to say that hopefully I will be able to count myself amongst you Clinical Neuropsychologists in the near future! I am interested in adults, specifically TBI.

---------------- Now playing: Pete Yorn - Sleep Better via FoxyTunes

VA's tend to have busy neuropsych interns considering the current returning vets. I'm at a VA in Chicago and the caseload for the neuropsych intern is quite hefty. Not peds obviously, but for those interested in adults I think these are good sites to look at. The ones with poly-trauma services would probably be more severe cases, but I'm guessing most VA hospitals have a neuropsychologist on staff.

I'm a bit confused about what exactly internship sites mean when they say that they conform to the Houston guidelines for NP training, since as far as I can determine, the Houston guidelines just say that the amount of NP training "should be determined by the training needs of the individual intern."

Is it necessary to get an internship slot w/ at least 50% time devoted to NP in order to be competitive for postdoc? Many internship sites seem to state this as if it is a benchmark, but I can't figure out where this standard is coming from. Any help is appreciated.

Is it necessary to get an internship slot w/ at least 50% time devoted to NP in order to be competitive for postdoc?

It seems that a 50% + 2 yr post-doc is the path people seem to take. I'm not sure if you NEED a site that is at least 50% to qualify for a 2 yr post-doc and boarding, but that seems to be the trend. I'll defer to NeuroDr or someone else more in the know.

It seems that a 50% + 2 yr post-doc is the path people seem to take. I'm not sure if you NEED a site that is at least 50% to qualify for a 2 yr post-doc and boarding, but that seems to be the trend. I'll defer to NeuroDr or someone else more in the know.

yes this is still correct

Thanks for your input, folks. I've ran the somewhat daunting task of looking at all the APPIC sites I'm interested in and determining whether to apply if they specifically list child Neuropsychology as one of their Major rotations. So far, I've turned up similar sites. Thanks once again!

This is actually exactly what I did when I began searching for internship sites to which to apply. I simply went to the APPIC directory, only selected full-time, Adult: Major and Neuropsychology: Major as emphases, and went from there.

It helped that I had some geographic criteria to narrow things down a bit, but for the most part, I just went to each program's individual website and evaluated them one by one.

People looking for information about internship training in clinical neuropsychology may want to check out: http://www.uthsc.edu/AITCN/

The Association for Internship Training in Clinical Neuropsychology has a listing of internships (both ped and adult focused) offering internship training in NP