Neuropsychology internship schedule question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wv7887

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In planning ahead for neuropsych postdoc applications, I was wondering if there would be any downfall to having my pediatric neuropsych rotation in the second half of the year (i.e., after match interviews) if I am interested in generalist sites? I have 2 years pediatric neuropsych experience from practicum and during my adult rotations in the first half of the year I will be seeing individuals 16+ (so technically some adolescents). I don't know if I have much control over my schedule, but just wanted to throw the question out there. Btw, my internship starts in Sept., which is why the rotation won't be until after the match. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both peds and adult for postdoc.

If you already have peds experience, it won't hurt you to have in in the second half. If anything, if you don't have adult experience yet, you need that in the first half to show the lifespan sites you have some of that as well. Not too many good lifespan sites out there, it's going to be competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I promise you post doc committees have seen this schedule many, many, many times and grossly don't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As PSYDR and WisNeuro said, given your prior peds experience, I wouldn't see this being a problem. The only way it might impact you is if you'd wanted to use the peds rotation supervisor as a rec letter writer.

This. I ran into this during internship and it was a pain. I was applying to adult neuropsych sites, and my first rotation happened to be peds. I wanted a letter from someone who could speak to my adult assessment skills, and my peds supervisor could really only talk about me learning pediatric measures from scratch. I had to scramble to get some adult patients with another supervisor, who ultimately wrote my letter. In the end, it turned out fine, but it was quite stressful and had we all thought about it in advance, we could have saved the headache by switching around my rotations.

That being said, if you are applying to both peds and adult sites (not clear if you mean lifespan sites or some adult and some peds), then you should be fine with a letter from an adult supervisor. Postdoc sites understand that you don't have control over your rotation schedule and just want to see that you have adequate experience.

This. I ran into this during internship and it was a pain. I was applying to adult neuropsych sites, and my first rotation happened to be peds. I wanted a letter from someone who could speak to my adult assessment skills, and my peds supervisor could really only talk about me learning pediatric measures from scratch. I had to scramble to get some adult patients with another supervisor, who ultimately wrote my letter. In the end, it turned out fine, but it was quite stressful and had we all thought about it in advance, we could have saved the headache by switching around my rotations.

That being said, if you are applying to both peds and adult sites (not clear if you mean lifespan sites or some adult and some peds), then you should be fine with a letter from an adult supervisor. Postdoc sites understand that you don't have control over your rotation schedule and just want to see that you have adequate experience.

Thanks! I plan to apply to mostly lifespan sites, but am also open to adults only. I have a board-certified supervisor from practicum that could speak to both my peds and adult experience, so I think that it should work out.

Thanks! I plan to apply to mostly lifespan sites, but am also open to adults only. I have a board-certified supervisor from practicum that could speak to both my peds and adult experience, so I think that it should work out.

I think you're in good shape then. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user