Neuropsychology Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedbrain

Reaction score
What is your average salary as a clinical neuropsychologist? I'm looking for realistic & transparent salaries. The numbers and averages I am finding online are extremely variable.

On average, how much do you charge per neuropsychology case that you see? How many are you able to see weekly?

PS - If you are a clinical neuropsychologist in any capacity, feel free to drop your current NUMBERS/SALARY anonymously.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On average, how much do you charge per neuropsychology case that you see? How many are you able to see weekly?
If insurance based, which most clinical neuropsychology is, it would depend on how long the evaluation takes and how much of each code you bill. Some take 4 or 5 hours, some take 10 or 12 hours. It just depends on what's medically needed and subsequently what you do. Are you seeing mostly Medicaid and Medicare patients vs commercial insurance? That will make a difference. Are you paid based on RVUs, percentage of collection or billables in a larger practice you may be working in, or just straight salary?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
AACN has a salary survey. It's going to be highly variable depending on your setting. And, as erg said, cases range quite a bit. I can see a dementia eval with 5-6 hours of billing and I can see an IME with 20 hours of billing. So, those numbers are going to vary based in what you do and in what setting you work.

Frankly, the numbers online are highly variable because that is the reality of the field.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The AACN salary survey is the best guesstimate, but it can vary greatly as others have mentioned. Some of the biggest factors that impact income are:

(For Private Practice)
1. Do you accept commercial insurance?
2. Do you accept Medicare and/or Medicaid?
3. Do you do legal work?
a. Do you do independent medical evaluations (IME)?
b. Do you spend a lot of time being deposed and/or in court?
4. Do you do do utilization review?
5. Do you accept Workers Compensation Insurance?

Commercial insurance reimbursement can be negotiated to be decent, but accepting what they first offer is likely going to be a grind. Accepting Medicare....workable if you do dementia evals and/or are efficient. Medicaid...in general not economically feasible w/o some kind of supplement. Legal work can pay really well, but there is a learning curve and typically it takes awhile to get consistent referrals (years, not months....in most places). Depositions and court time pay well, though a lot of clinicians don't like going to court. Utilization review can cover a few areas, but generally it's case review and commenting if the services are medically appropriate. Pay can be good, highly dependant on what you can negotiate. Workers Comp insurance can vary greatly by state. I've been in some where the rates are in line with commercial rates and neuropsychs are *really* hard to find. Other states WC can pay well. Federal Workers Comp is a different animal than state, and (N=1) I've found it is a PITA to navigate, so I stopped accepting it years ago.

(For Hospital / In-Patient)
1. What are your RVU requirements?
2. Are there productivity bonuses?
3. Are your services "bundled" or do you bill as an independent provider?

There are a bunch more, but I have to run to the bank. Suffice to say there are more moving parts. There is an entire lecture worth of stuff to cover to navigate the economics of hospital work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. To add to this, it will also depend on professional activities. Academic vs hospital vs PP is a wide range.

I'll add something:

Productivity and work ethic are significant variables. Some people work 70hr weeks, and make more. Some people see 2 patients per week and “need time to process”.

I'll add something:

Productivity and work ethic are significant variables. Some people work 70hr weeks, and make more. Some people see 2 patients per week and “need time to process”.

You would have gotten a great laugh out of the comments I read recently from some therapists complaining that 15 psychotherapy clients/wk in a cash PP would be too many to handle.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Seriously? 3/day was too taxing?

I was laughing pretty hard. Even the VA requires more than that. There was talk of processing and the difficulties patients bring in with them. This was a mid-level commenting that they couldn't do more than 15/wk and 20 was too many. News to me as I used to book 9-11 sessions/day. Hell, I did more initials than that a day previously.

Reactions: 1 users
I was laughing pretty hard. Even the VA requires more than that. There was talk of processing and the difficulties patients bring in with them. This was a mid-level commenting that they couldn't do more than 15/wk and 20 was too many. News to me as I used to book 9-11 sessions/day. Hell, I did more initials than that a day previously.
Well, we don't need to go to the other extreme here! 9-11/day is insane.

Members don't see this ad :)

Depends on what you are doing. 11 is only insane if you are completing 1 hour sessions and doing so over a long period of time. Throw some 90832s in there and it becomes an 8-9 hour/day. I know people who have done as many as 14-16 sessions/day. Just not everyday. There are longer and shorter days.

Work smarter, not harder. Well, in that midlevels case, they also need to work harder.

A balance of smart and hard is good. In this case, my guess is neither smart nor hard. Some of the same people were also doubting others would pay $180/hr for psychotherapy. For me, these beliefs along with salary complaints were enlightening with regards to some people's expectations of this career. To be fair, the crowd was international as some contributors were European.

Last edited:
A balance of smart and hard is good. In this case, my guess is neither smart nor hard. Some of the same people were also doubting others would pay $180/hr for psychotherapy. For me, the expectations along with salary complaints were enlightening with regards to some people's expectations of this career. To be fair, the crowd was international as some contributors were European.

Yeah, definitely a different ballgame when you are seeing how things operate overseas. Seeing some of that myself this week.

I remember having to do 5-6+ consults per day (in-patient), psycho-ed in-pt groups, in addition to my 2.5 day out-pt neuro practice, 1 research day, and supervising fellows. I can see how that would be a grind, but out-pt a few a day...nah. Back when I was doing more clinical work in my out-pt practice, I had 7-10pt/wk of out-pt psychoeducation and coping patients....as a neuropsychologist. Thankfully I'm back to my preferred 2-3pt/wk out-pt (longer-term brain injury and poly-trauma). I see my intervention patients every 1-2 weeks and my longer-term patients every 2-3 wks.

The AACN salary survey is the best guesstimate, but it can vary greatly as others have mentioned. Some of the biggest factors that impact income are:

(For Private Practice)
1. Do you accept commercial insurance?
2. Do you accept Medicare and/or Medicaid?
3. Do you do legal work?
a. Do you do independent medical evaluations (IME)?
b. Do you spend a lot of time being deposed and/or in court?
4. Do you do do utilization review?
5. Do you accept Workers Compensation Insurance?

Commercial insurance reimbursement can be negotiated to be decent, but accepting what they first offer is likely going to be a grind. Accepting Medicare....workable if you do dementia evals and/or are efficient. Medicaid...in general not economically feasible w/o some kind of supplement. Legal work can pay really well, but there is a learning curve and typically it takes awhile to get consistent referrals (years, not months....in most places). Depositions and court time pay well, though a lot of clinicians don't like going to court. Utilization review can cover a few areas, but generally it's case review and commenting if the services are medically appropriate. Pay can be good, highly dependant on what you can negotiate. Workers Comp insurance can vary greatly by state. I've been in some where the rates are in line with commercial rates and neuropsychs are *really* hard to find. Other states WC can pay well. Federal Workers Comp is a different animal than state, and (N=1) I've found it is a PITA to navigate, so I stopped accepting it years ago.

(For Hospital / In-Patient)
1. What are your RVU requirements?
2. Are there productivity bonuses?
3. Are your services "bundled" or do you bill as an independent provider?

There are a bunch more, but I have to run to the bank. Suffice to say there are more moving parts. There is an entire lecture worth of stuff to cover to navigate the economics of hospital work.
For those who have experience conducting utilization reviews: Any tips on how early-career neuropsychologists can find this type of work on a part-time basis? I've had trouble finding such jobs through typical job search engines and my network.

I'll slightly challenge here. With all due respect, what is insane about that? I've never been able to reconcile these types of opinions with comparisons to medicine.

You would have gotten a great laugh out of the comments I read recently from some therapists complaining that 15 psychotherapy clients/wk in a cash PP would be too many to handle.

The term, "to handle" is key. There is a difference between choosing to work part time, and only being able to handle working part time. If my CPA couldn't handle working more than 15 hrs/week, I would think she was not a great CPA. If she chose to work 15hrs/week, I would think she had other reasons.

For those who have experience conducting utilization reviews: Any tips on how early-career neuropsychologists can find this type of work on a part-time basis? I've had trouble finding such jobs through typical job search engines and my network.

How early career are we taking? Most utilization review gigs want 3-5 years licensed at minimum.

I'll slightly challenge here. With all due respect, what is insane about that? I've never been able to reconcile these types of opinions with comparisons to medicine.

The term, "to handle" is key. There is a difference between choosing to work part time, and only being able to handle working part time. If my CPA couldn't handle working more than 15 hrs/week, I would think she was not a great CPA. If she chose to work 15hrs/week, I would think she had other reasons.
Well, the obvious is that the comparisons to medicine are pretty tough, unless my appointments turn into 15 minutes + having a resident and nurse do half of the session. Our sessions are very different, the majority of the time.

Either way, if we're talking traditional therapy, 9-11 50 minute sessions is a 9-11 hour day without notes, prep, or admin work. That's absolutely not something most people are interested in, and especially not on a psychologist salary.

Well, the obvious is that the comparisons to medicine are pretty tough, unless my appointments turn into 15 minutes + having a resident and nurse do half of the session. Our sessions are very different, the majority of the time.

Either way, if we're talking traditional therapy, 9-11 50 minute sessions is a 9-11 hour day without notes, prep, or admin work. That's absolutely not something most people are interested in, and especially not on a psychologist salary.

Just a quick thought about assumptions, but why would you do a 50 min session? Also, what is a psychologist salary? Doing this should net a nice six figure income.

As other have said, they usually want some experience. Also, the pay range varies quite a bit, often by region. The only ones I've seen around here are pretty bad. There are better ways to make money after you get a few years under your belt as a neuropsychologist.

How early career are we taking? Most utilization review gigs want 3-5 years licensed at minimum.
As other have said, they usually want some experience. Also, the pay range varies quite a bit, often by region. The only ones I've seen around here are pretty bad. There are better ways to make money after you get a few years under your belt as a neuropsychologist.
I'm in that range, but that's good to know. Just seems like a nice work-from-home side hustle for those of seeking primarily research careers but still keeping some involvement in aspects of clinical work.

I'm in that range, but that's good to know. Just seems like a nice work-from-home side hustle for those of seeking primarily research careers but still keeping some involvement in aspects of clinical work.

I would struggle to call utilization review clinical work :) Admittedly, I do not have a high opinion of utilization reviewers from prior experiences. I don't enjoy having to play phone tag to explain to them why they obviously have no concept of the disorders that they are making calls on in relation to requested units.

I'm sure there are good ones out there, but the industry does not lend itself to doing what's best for the patient much of the time.

The industry has largely moved away from sending their UM to external vendors due to cost, and as wisneuro mentioned, quality control problems. These companies are also not "delegated" in most cases, thus a physician or psychologist at the insurance company still has to review your review and attest to it. In most cases, it thus creates a high cost and saves relatively little time. Internal jobs with insurance companies will be full-time, and will generally involve other duties and areas other than just doing UM/peer reviews.

Last edited:
Just a quick thought about assumptions, but why would you do a 50 min session? Also, what is a psychologist salary? Doing this should net a nice six figure income.
I mean, certainly, we could assume 30 minute sessions instead. But let's not pretend that that's evidence-based care for a number of populations. And see above for someone discussing their 9-11 sessions in PC and how they felt. Lastly, even a "nice six figure income" is usually not equivalent to psychiatrist pay and would certainly not be worth it for me to work a 12 hour day. I can and should make six figures within a few years with a much more reasonable caseload.

I think it's a little silly to keep arguing this point. We have a decent amount of research suggesting that seeing that amount of patients a day is a huge risk factor for burnout. Again, you are free to work yourself to whatever point works for you. But when we're setting a reasonable standard, it stands that a consideration should be at what point most people would burn out. At this point, there's a huge push for shorter work days, not longer. And more practically, most of us don't need our organizations to push for 9-11 patients a day so that they can shirk on hiring more mental health staff.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean, certainly, we could assume 30 minute sessions instead. But let's not pretend that that's evidence-based care for a number of populations. And see above for someone discussing their 9-11 sessions in PC and how they felt. Lastly, even a "nice six figure income" is usually not equivalent to psychiatrist pay and would certainly not be worth it for me to work a 12 hour day. I can and should make six figures within a few years with a much more reasonable caseload.

I think it's a little silly to keep arguing this point. We have a decent amount of research suggesting that seeing that amount of patients a day is a huge risk factor for burnout. Again, you are free to work yourself to whatever point works for you. But when we're setting a reasonable standard, it stands that a consideration should be at what point most people would burn out. At this point, there's a huge push for shorter work days, not longer. And more practically, most of us don't need our organizations to push for 9-11 patients a day so that they can shirk on hiring more mental health staff.

I was suggesting a 40 min session as that is what most insurances/ the billing code allows for. Or 53+ if that is allowable. Doing a 50 min session is giving away 10 min of time for free. That is over an hour of paperwork time back from your day. I also don't suggest anyone work this hard in a salaried position. I am talking about private practice where one is better able to manage their own schedule and reap the financial rewards of seeing patients. I'm not saying everyone can see that many patients. It depends on the individual and what they can manage. I did okay seeing 9 a day. 11 was rougher. Acuity is also a factor. Low acuity and cookie cutter CBT can be done with minimal prep. So can supportive therapy. I see a lot less now as I am salaried. Different stage of life and different responsibilities.

Last edited:
I was suggesting a 40 min session as that is what most insurances/ the billing code allows for. Or 53+ if that allowable. Doing a 50 min session is giving away 10 min of time for free. That is over an hour of paperwork time back from your day. I also don't suggest anyone work this hard in salaried position. I am talking about private practice where one is better able to manage their own schedule and reap the financial rewards of seeing patients. I'm not saying everyone can see that many patients. It depends on the individual and what they can manage. I did okay seeing 9 a day. 11 was rougher. Acuity is also a factor. Low acuity and cookie cutter CBT can be do e with minimal prep. So can supportive therapy. I see a lot less now as I am salaried. Different stage of life and different responsibilities.

I did my time working for less than I could earn in the VA and non-profit hospitals. I'm all about maximizing my revenue for the time being. All about the Benjamin's, baby.

I agree that if you're in a salaried position and are expected to see 12 (40+ minute) therapy patients per day for low six-figure income (or, heaven forbid, high five figures), that's a bad deal. In a perfect world, no psychologist would be willing to take that type of position.

Reactions: 7 users
It's ALWAYS been about the Benjamins. It's a profession, not a hobby. If everyone gets paid, we all win.

I am getting to that place as well. This is why I refuse to do the poorly compensated middle management tasks anymore. With theRVU focus at the VA now, I have even been questioning my training involvement. It is quickly not becoming worth the trouble.

Last edited:
It's ALWAYS been about the Benjamins. It's a profession, not a hobby. If everyone gets paid, we all win.

I totally agree. I'm ok with paring down my clinical and supervisory work to move into more lucrative legal work. I'm at the point now in my scheduling that I'm booked out enough to have to turn away high paying work as it can't fit in my schedule within the time frame. I keep a certain percentage of clinical patients, but that wait list is getting lengthy as I need to keep slots open for legal work.

As far as patients in the US go, votes have consequences. Elect people who continue to gut reimbursements, deal with reduced access.

My max is 6 per day. Of course, we also need to account for the 90 min PE sessions.

Back when I was in PCMHI, I learned that it doesn't matter how long the sessions are. Even with 30 min sessions, I would get cranky if I had to see more than 6 patients.

What is your average salary as a clinical neuropsychologist? I'm looking for realistic & transparent salaries.
PS - If you are a clinical neuropsychologist in any capacity, feel free to drop your current NUMBERS/SALARY anonymously.
Hi. Starting salary for a neuropsychologist at the VA = $103K, but I’ve also seen $106K and $108K starting-but all of these are with a two year postdoc. This also depends on region. The numbers I provided are for the mid Atlantic region. Also, a friend got a tenure track position at a southern university starting at $96K in 2020 (also with a 2 year fellowship).

My max is 6 per day. Of course, we also need to account for the 90 min PE sessions.

Back when I was in PCMHI, I learned that it doesn't matter how long the sessions are. Even with 30 min sessions, I would get cranky if I had to see more than 6 patients.
Agreed. I cap out at 7, but I don’t want to do that every day. When I started consistently seeing 7 a day, it was a sign that I needed to charge more.

Hi. Starting salary for a neuropsychologist at the VA = $103K, but I’ve also seen $106K and $108K starting-but all of these are with a two year postdoc. This also depends on region. The numbers I provided are for the mid Atlantic region. Also, a friend got a tenure track position at a southern university starting at $96K in 2020 (also with a 2 year fellowship).
To add to the info about the VA numbers, VA only has one pay group for all psychologists (i.e., neuro or otherwise). The differences come with changes to Grade and Step. Without any special locality adjustment (i.e., the "Rest of U.S." group), the starting pay for GS13 Step 1 is a smidge over $94k. GS14 typically involves some sort of supervisory duties (e.g., a local program manager or, in some VAs, a director of training). GS15 is going to be upper-level leadership, like the associate chief of staff of a service or the lead psychologist.

I've poked around the locality adjustment tables over the years, and I believe Houston, SF, and Hawaii get some of the biggest bumps. The two year fellowship helps neuropsychologists come in as a GS13 rather than 11 or 12. Houston, for example is $108k for GS13 Step 1 and San Francisco is $115k.

Do these VA neuropsychologist numbers differ based on whether the neuro postdoc was completed at a VA or AMC (or just elsewhere non-VA)? As in, would the number be higher if the person completed the neuro postdoc at a VA?

Do these VA neuropsychologist numbers differ based on whether the neuro postdoc was completed at a VA or AMC (or just elsewhere non-VA)? As in, would the number be higher if the person completed the neuro postdoc at a VA?
no

As @erg923 said, no. They don't even care if you are a neuropsychologist. They only care that you are a psychologist. post-doc starts you at a Gs-13 step 1 compared to no post-doc. After that it is years licensed/working in the position and a 1 step bump for ABPP. That's it.

As @erg923 said, no. They don't even care if you are a neuropsychologist. They only care that you are a psychologist. post-doc starts you at a Gs-13 step 1 compared to no post-doc. After that it is years licensed/working in the position and a 1 step bump for ABPP. That's it.
This is why that the VA is a good starting spot for recent fellowship grads. You can make decent money for a set schedule (tour of duty: 8:30am-4:30pm is standard), and the VA benefits are pretty solid. The problem is that the pay becomes less competitive after a few years if you do neuropsych....as compared to what you'd make in private practice and likely at an AMC. Some people prefer the VA lifestyle and then just adding some private practice work. Any kind of loan repayment would be a bonus, but that should always been written in stone bc red tape + VA + Gov't = headaches. Rarely is loan repayment advertised in a job opening, but for harder to fill spots....it can often be mentioned as a carrot....but you need to get everything in writing because nothing counts in the VA (or gov't in general) until the ink is dried on the deal.

FWIW...I did my intern year in the VA and most of my supervisors were long-term providers and had been at the VA for 10-25+ years. They all had families, so healthcare and retirement can make a bigger difference, depending on your goals and needs.

To add to the info about the VA numbers, VA only has one pay group for all psychologists (i.e., neuro or otherwise). The differences come with changes to Grade and Step. Without any special locality adjustment (i.e., the "Rest of U.S." group), the starting pay for GS13 Step 1 is a smidge over $94k. GS14 typically involves some sort of supervisory duties (e.g., a local program manager or, in some VAs, a director of training). GS15 is going to be upper-level leadership, like the associate chief of staff of a service or the lead psychologist.

I've poked around the locality adjustment tables over the years, and I believe Houston, SF, and Hawaii get some of the biggest bumps. The two year fellowship helps neuropsychologists come in as a GS13 rather than 11 or 12. Houston, for example is $108k for GS13 Step 1 and San Francisco is $115k.
Some of these cities have a special salary rate even higher than what you're reporting.

It has been my experience that most people who make statements like the one you are responding to either live very solitary lives (i.e. no significant other/children/friends), or get compensated waayyyyy above average, making such conditions more tolerable than they would be for someone making the average salary.

It has been my experience that most people who make statements like the one you are responding to either live very solitary lives (i.e. no significant other/children/friends), or get compensated waayyyyy above average, making such conditions more tolerable than they would be for someone making the average salary.

In this case, wrong on both counts. However, the statement was made in reference to private practice, so I am not sure what salary you are talking about. Salaried jobs generally have an RVU component and it would be silly to do more than what is required. However, I know plenty of VA folks that do PP on the side as well. Take your 6-7 at work and 1-2 in the evening, it is 8-9. Not out of the realm of what people do all the time.

Some of these cities have a special salary rate even higher than what you're reporting.
Yep, there are various special rates as well. Although I don't know if VA psychologists would qualify for any; when I check the OPM's little search tool and select psychologist as the occupation, VA isn't one of the few listed agencies (it only lists BoP, DoJ, Army, and Air Force).

I also am no expert on psychologist pay outside the general schedule.

I ama
Yep, there are various special rates as well. Although I don't know if VA psychologists would qualify for any; when I check the OPM's little search tool and select psychologist as the occupation, VA isn't one of the few listed agencies (it only lists BoP, DoJ, Army, and Air Force).

I also am no expert on psychologist pay outside the general schedule.
I am in one of the regions mentioned with a special salary rate. Psychologists all start at about 150. I'm not sure what the Neuro workload is like, to make it slightly more relevant to OP.

Anyone willing to share a rough estimate (recognizing that overhead and productivity vary greatly) of what a solo NP can make in PP WITH taking insurance and nothing outside of that (in other words- no IMEs, etc), And how many evals/week that would entail? The more I ask folks about it, the more I hear, "I haven't found out how to make it profitable yet...." and this is coming from boarded NPs in practice anywhere form 5 -20 years... that can't be right.

Anyone willing to share a rough estimate (recognizing that overhead and productivity vary greatly) of what a solo NP can make in PP WITH taking insurance and nothing outside of that (in other words- no IMEs, etc), And how many evals/week that would entail? The more I ask folks about it, the more I hear, "I haven't found out how to make it profitable yet...." and this is coming from boarded NPs in practice anywhere form 5 -20 years... that can't be right.

To get a very rough estimate, take a look at the MEdicare fee schedule and sketch out what your average eval would be for what you will see most often. For example, dementia eval with feedback, 1 unit 90791, 1 unit 96132, 1-2 unit 96133, 1 unit 96136, 5-6 units 96137, etc. Then you can calculate what medicare would pay based on the RVUS. Multiple that by how many of those evals you'd do in a week, then multiple that by how many weeks you're going to work. Adjust for no shows (my rate is <5% for clinical).