neuropsychology via clinical route????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a graduate program in a separate field and also want to pursue a PhD following its completion. My local university is the only one that I have the option of goin to for personal reasons; however, they do have a PhD program. The psych dept has concentrations for clinical, community, and human factors psych. I am mainly interested in sensory/bio psych as well as neuropsych. Since there are more job opportunities for clinical that is the pathway I would like to take. Is it possible to do a clinical program and become a neuropsych through independent study? I know this is not likely feasible but I imagine there prob isnt a diff license that distinguishes between a clinical psych and neuropsych. Additionally, many clinicians obtain the PhD because it is the required entry-level degree for a psychologist; however, they may not be interested in research. I am interested in research; however, my research interests do not match those of the faculty at the program i am lookin into. I realize this may be a prob if i wanted to pursue a research career but if i just want to complete the dissertation would i be able to choose a topic diff from the faculty memebers' areas of interest? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For a clinical PhD, having research interests that match the faculty is essential. It's also a lot harder to do a dissertation in a research area that none of the faculty are interested in. You would need maybe four or five faculty on your dissertation and I think at least one of them have to have similar research interests.

As far as doing neuropsychology through general clinical is concerned, an option would be to pursue an internship and/or postdoc that will train you in neuropsych. Also, you might be able to take electives in cognitive, biopsych, and/or sensation & perception. But by far the hardest part is getting into a program in which your research interests do not match the faculty.

I would have to agree with everything psychmoide has said. I would just like to make clear that if you are interested in clinical neuropsychology, the preferred path (if you want ot call it that) is to complete a clinical PhD and a 2 year neuropsych post-doc.