Neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isaiah.hobbs183

Reaction score
I have recently been dealt with weighing my options on what i would like to pursue (hence grad school); I have heard a bit of a rough idea of what a neuropsychologist is yet it seems like a relatively new field maybe? does anyone know how one pursues it? what internships too look for, favorite theories/books, etc..
The field looks interesting and I'm curious

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently been dealt with weighing my options on what i would like to pursue (hence grad school); I have heard a bit of a rough idea of what a neuropsychologist is yet it seems like a relatively new field maybe? does anyone know how one pursues it? what internships too look for, favorite theories/books, etc..
The field looks interesting and I'm curious

The field is arguably as old as cognitive science/psychological science, which dates back all the way to the Greek Philosophers and the ancient Egyptians. I am assuming you mean the *practice* of clinical neuropsychology, which is a relative newer field, though still has strong roots in the 1800s with the practice of things like the (now debunked) phrenology.

For an overview, APA gives a good birds-eye view: Clinical Neuropsychology.

Training (starting with year one in grad school) lasts approximately 8+ years before one is truly a full fledged neuropsychologist, and the most respected neuropsychologists in the field tend to get heavy training in research, as a foundation in research, even if doing clinical work nearly full time, is essential in neuropsychology.

Reactions: 2 users