Neuroradiology Fellowship - School choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologist79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
My husband, a foreign trained radiologist is currently interviewing for Neuroradiology fellowships programs in the US. The following are the schools he has been interviewing:
1. University of Washington, Seattle
2. University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center
3. University of Alabama, Birmingham
4. Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

He has to be in the same institute for 4 years as a fellow or attending to be eligible to sit for the ABR. Any suggestion on how he should rank the schools in the rank order list considering factors such as school ranking, location, cost of living, people, long term job openings etc. We have a one year old baby boy, and have family in Chicago so that’s one reason we would like to be in Milwaukee (although I am not crazy about the weather at all!). But I don’t want him to forego the other shools if they are better in terms of school rankings, better resume for him and long term opportunities for his job market etc. What should be our order of preference? Any feedback is really appreciated!
Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
My husband, a foreign trained radiologist is currently interviewing for Neuroradiology fellowships programs in the US. The following are the schools he has been interviewing:
1. University of Washington, Seattle
2. University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center
3. University of Alabama, Birmingham
4. Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

He has to be in the same institute for 4 years as a fellow or attending to be eligible to sit for the ABR. Any suggestion on how he should rank the schools in the rank order list considering factors such as school ranking, location, cost of living, people, long term job openings etc. We have a one year old baby boy, and have family in Chicago so that’s one reason we would like to be in Milwaukee (although I am not crazy about the weather at all!). But I don’t want him to forego the other shools if they are better in terms of school rankings, better resume for him and long term opportunities for his job market etc. What should be our order of preference? Any feedback is really appreciated!
Thanks so much!!
I'm not familiar with the neuro depts in each of these programs, but in general, their prestige would probably be ranked as UW > UTSW > UAB > MCW. How you and your husband want to rank them is something that only you can decide. For me, gut feeling, location, and weather were the most important factors; provided I felt the program could prepare me well to become an academic radiologist, prestige took a backseat.

MCW is a solid mid-tier academic program, and as long as he works hard, it should train him well. I think where prestige helps is if you are interested in an academic career and if you plan to get a job in another area of the country (in other words, I do think the name "UW" may help a grad applying for a job in Florida more than MCW would). But since you don't know where you want to end up it's really just a theoretical discussion, and I think it would be best for you to rank the programs in order of where you think you'll be happiest...and proximity to family is certainly part of that.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much.
Another question I had was if he interviewed with these places, is it likely that he would match atleast with one of them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much.
Another question I had was if he interviewed with these places, is it likely that he would match atleast with one of them?

Hi,
Getting selected or not, is a question that cannot be answered actually. But if he is determined to get a job and in the worst case not getting one in the above mentioned colleges, I would suggest to try for some new profile. Please go through the following link, I think that would help you in finding a new field for your husband.
http://onlineradiologytechnicianschools.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-become-a-radiology-tech/http://onlineradiologytechnicianschools.com/what-are-the-top-employers-of-radiology-technicians/

Hope he will find a job that would best satisfy him.

Hi,
Getting selected or not, is a question that cannot be answered actually. But if he is determined to get a job and in the worst case not getting one in the above mentioned colleges, I would suggest to try for some new profile. Please go through the following link, I think that would help you in finding a new field for your husband.
http://onlineradiologytechnicianschools.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-become-a-radiology-tech/http://onlineradiologytechnicianschools.com/what-are-the-top-employers-of-radiology-technicians/

Hope he will find a job that would best satisfy him.
The OP's husband is a radiologist, meaning he has already finished medical school and residency in his home country. I don't think he would be amenable to retraining as a technician.

OP, unfortunately, no one (on this board) can answer your question on the likelihood that he is accepted. If he doesn't, I would suggest that he apply to more places and go from there.