NeuroRadiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rad73

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am IMG, I am done from my residency in diagnostic Radiology overseas, I would like to do neuroradiology fellowship in US, I am taking my USMLE exams now, I want to go directly to neuroradiolgy, so what does increase my chance to do this fellowship. Some of my friends told me that the residency in Radiolgy nowadays in US is easier than fellowship in Neuroradiolgy because fellowship is very competitive, so is that true?
what do you recommend in my case?
Thanks in advane. appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Just do the alternative pathway. It's shorter and you get to f uck over the U.S. trained radiology residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Just do the alternative pathway. It's shorter and you get to f uck over the U.S. trained radiology residents.
Thanks, but I do not want to spend 4 years, I just want to do one or two years in Neuroradiolgy as a fellow, so is it possible for IMG nowdays?
Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. To my knowledge, only repeating residency or the alternate pathway can get you practicing rads in the US.

The OP didn't say that he/she wants to stay in US after.

So I dont know if this is still the case but when I was in medical school (in the mid-west, smaller school) I met a radiologists who I believe did their residency outside the US and then did fellowships in the states, they were able to stay and practice and get a license to be in the states so long as they worked in an academic center for a certain amount of time. They said it was unique to radiology and not available in clinical fields like IM, etc. So I think its possible to just do fellowship here and stay.

Last edited:
So I dont know if this is still the case but when I was in medical school I met a couple of radiologists who I believe did their residency outside the US and then did fellowships in the states, they were able to stay and practice and get a license to be in the states so long as they worked in an academic center for a certain amount of time. They said it was unique to radiology and not available in clinical fields like IM, etc. So I think its possible to just do fellowship here and stay.

It's called the alternative pathway.

It's called the alternative pathway.
Thanks! I think this might be a more common thing in underserved areas and the mid-west (where I did medical school) than in major cities like LA, NYC, etc

Thanks! I think this might be a more common thing in underserved areas and the mid-west (where I did medical school) than in major cities like LA, NYC, etc
no, this is the way academic radiology practices function. They find these foreign radiologists and promise them 4 years of fellowships rather than making them go through the US match. Academic departments everywhere are infested with them.

Alternative pathway is very common in all academic departments across the country, including the west and east coast programs. Although nowadays most places will want you to do 4 years of fellowship, I've seen cases when after two years of fellowship they make you an attending but you need to stay in the same institution regardless for 4 years in order to be eligible for the boards.

What about an IMG who had the fellowship in the US/Canada. I'm mainly interested in teleradiology. Is it possible to get a license in several states to be able to practice teleradiology while living outside the states.

Alternative pathway is very common in all academic departments across the country, including the west and east coast programs. Although nowadays most places will want you to do 4 years of fellowship, I've seen cases when after two years of fellowship they make you an attending but you need to stay in the same institution regardless for 4 years in order to be eligible for the boards.

So are there programs that will specifically mention that they allow the Alternate Pathway? I am looking to go the Alternate pathway but most of all the programs/fellowships I looked at simply say, one year fellowship is offered. So how do you get 4 years?

So are there programs that will specifically mention that they allow the Alternate Pathway? I am looking to go the Alternate pathway but most of all the programs/fellowships I looked at simply say, one year fellowship is offered. So how do you get 4 years?

You just keep doing one year fellowships.

You just keep doing one year fellowships.

So you get matched into a fellowship once and you just keep doing rest of the three years or you have to ask for give you three more years? You do three four sub specialties in four years, correct? How do you get a program to let you do four years at their institution to be eligible for the radiology boards?

Sorry if it seems like stupid questions. Don't know too much about the match system for fellowship. Just learned about Alternate pathway so trying to gather information.

Thanks!

It usually goes like
Neuro, body, Peds neuro, neuro
I don't know exactly how it works but you prob come to an agreement with the first place and stay 4 years. If you want to slip a fellowship that goes through the match it may not be so simple.

I thought they were closing the alternate pathway but they prob like the cheap labor of fellows.

It usually goes like
I don't know exactly how it works but you prob come to an agreement with the first place and stay 4 years. If you want to slip a fellowship that goes through the match it may not be so simple.

I thought they were closing the alternate pathway but they prob like the cheap labor of fellows.
This is so institution specific it's not even funny.

Where I am, it's usually Body, Body, XXX, Chest

It usually goes like

They're not. ABR has it on their site that they have no plans on closing the alternate pathway.

Yeah I figured I'd have to call up the programs and tell them what I'm looking for instead of just applying through the match.