Neuroscience anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question--we're finishing up our Neuroscience course today and I was wondering if it was common practice for schools to have abbreviated Neuro courses. Ours lasted 7 weeks with an 8th week for the 4th exam and also comprehensive final. Is this common practice? It was kinda neat because you didn't really have time to forget everything from the beginning.

Members don't see this ad.

Ours is 6 weeks at the end of this semester. Unfortunately we have 3 tests in that time period plus a subject exam after the last test.

What did you think of the class overall though? Do I have anything to look forward to?

Members don't see this ad :)
The class wasn't bad. I got lazy at the end and blew an exam, so that has left a little bit of a bad experience in my mind...not to mention I just finished the final and it took all of three hours and was only 95 questions. But I enjoyed the first half of the class, at least.

I felt like it was so far the most relevant coursework that we've done.

We actually have neuro in 5 weeks...but we take it by itself. We take it first thing when we get back from xmas break. We have 2 written tests paired with 2 practicals, an oral exam, and then the shelf exam to top it all off. We actually liked it a lot and our class had an extremely high average on the shelf...so something must be working!!

I would be interested in comparing the amount of material covered between schools. I can't possibly imagine covering everything we did in 5 weeks. Sometimes I think we cover way more than needed. I mean, when am I ever going to think about on-center bipolar cells again? Or when will I ever need to know that bitter gustatory channels are metabotropic, let alone know the cascade for their depolarization?

That's weird that we are all taking Neuro at the same time. Strange... :D

Well, at my school, we had a 10 week-long Neuroanatomy class where we were taught the tracts, important structures, and important lesions of the CNS. This was a first-year class taught by PhDs.

Now, nearing the end of second-year, we're taking a 5-week Neuroscience/ology course taught by MDs. It goes over the lesions in more detail, and covers neurologic diseases left out in the first year class. Of course, we had forgotten all of the corticospinal, medial lemniscus crap from first year, so we had quite a stressful first couple weeks reorienting ourselves to this detailed material.

I don't know why my school spends so much time on Neuro, but its good because I really feel like I know this stuff now.

I hate neuro. We have two quarters of it, the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

BU has a 5 week neuro course, but that's the only course we take for those 5 weeks, with about 25 hours of class time every week. We had a mid-term after 2 weeks, and then a comprehensive final, each with a practical and written. It's a bitch of a course, but in retrospect (now that we aren't having limbic pathways crammed down our throats), it was a very interesting course.

UCSBMed1 said:
That's weird that we are all taking Neuro at the same time. Strange... :D

Well, at my school, we had a 10 week-long Neuroanatomy class where we were taught the tracts, important structures, and important lesions of the CNS. This was a first-year class taught by PhDs.

Now, nearing the end of second-year, we're taking a 5-week Neuroscience/ology course taught by MDs. It goes over the lesions in more detail, and covers neurologic diseases left out in the first year class. Of course, we had forgotten all of the corticospinal, medial lemniscus crap from first year, so we had quite a stressful first couple weeks reorienting ourselves to this detailed material.

I don't know why my school spends so much time on Neuro, but its good because I really feel like I know this stuff now.

Ya same with me only we had a whole 1 semester long neurobio course 1st semester of 1st year and now 2nd year we have a 3 block neurology course on clinical neuro disorders/lesions etc. I had to spend the last month for a few hours at night reviewing neuro just so i could be prepped and could hang with this super detailed stuff now. Kinda wish they put this stuff right after you had your neuroanatomy course, sure was hard to remember all that stuff

One full semester of Neuro at TTU. No wonder we spank the NBME every yr. It hardly seems fair that others take it for 5-6 wks and take the same test?

Rogue_Leader said:
BU has a 5 week neuro course, but that's the only course we take for those 5 weeks, with about 25 hours of class time every week. We had a mid-term after 2 weeks, and then a comprehensive final, each with a practical and written. It's a bitch of a course, but in retrospect (now that we aren't having limbic pathways crammed down our throats), it was a very interesting course.

I think this would kill me.