Jun 7, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys. I am not applying this cycle, but I do have a question. I'm a Neuroscience major at my school and there are several neuro classes I have to take, along with psych ones. The thing is that the neuro classes fall under the "neuroscience department", not bio, chem, psych, or physics. They are specifically under "neuroscience". The classes are NOT geared towards psych and they were science heavy.
These are the courses:
Fundamentals of Neuroscience
Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
Neurobiology of Disease
Development/Plasticity/Repair
Techniques in Neuroscience
I did really well in these courses and it would be nice if they count in my science gpa. Do you think they would consider the content of these courses?
I hope so:(:(:scared:

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
I'm not sure that would count.

I'm a NSC major as well.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Both MD BCPM and DO Sgpa would count them. For MD it's Bio, and for DO it's either other science or neurology. If they for some reason do not, then appeal.

About the Ads

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
Both MD BCPM and DO Sgpa would count them. For MD it's Bio, and for DO it's either other science or neurology. If they for some reason do not, then appeal.
nice, I'm taking behavioral, integrative, neuropharm, nsc lab methods, and cellular nsc before i apply, which one would apply as bcpm? all ?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
nice, I'm taking behavioral, integrative, neuropharm, nsc lab methods, and cellular nsc before i apply, which one would apply as bcpm? all ?
All, exception is neuropharm, for DO it's science. For BCPM I believe pharmacology courses are not considered, however it's worth a try.

Jun 7, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
If they do not, how do I go about appealing? Would I have to proof that the courses are at least 75-80% science-based?
:mad: That rotten pre-health advisor said don't bother since they wont count. :mad:
:rolleyes: I don't trust that advisor though. They seem to be pushing everyone towards the post-bac programs. One girl I know only took the MCAT once, bombed it, and was told to just apply for a post-bacc or masters program. :mad:

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
All, exception is neuropharm, for DO it's science. For BCPM I believe pharmacology courses are not considered, however it's worth a try.
alright cool, thanks

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
is this behavorial neurosience under psych??
no, every course for my nsc degree is under the nsc department, the psych students take behavioral nsc under the nsc department

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
It's correct that Neuroscience falls under "biology" for MD regardless of it being an independent department. If your class is offered under "neuroscience," it doesn't matter if it is about "perception."

Osteopathic? I don't know. I would venture to say it will count as Biology as well, but I haven't found anything that classifies Neuroscience.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2010
Here, There, Everywhere
It's correct that Neuroscience falls under "biology" for MD regardless of it being an independent department. If your class is offered under "neuroscience," it doesn't matter if it is about "perception."

Osteopathic? I don't know. I would venture to say it will count as Biology as well, but I haven't found anything that classifies Neuroscience.
Class is an easy A according to myedu.com. Good news for me. BCPM that needs all the boosting it can get:D

About the Ads