Neuroscience Courses and Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futureofyourtv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am not applying this cycle, but I do have a question. I'm a Neuroscience major at my school and there are several neuro classes I have to take, along with psych ones. The thing is that the neuro classes fall under the "neuroscience department", not bio, chem, psych, or physics. They are specifically under "neuroscience". The classes are NOT geared towards psych and they were science heavy.
These are the courses:
Fundamentals of Neuroscience
Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
Neurobiology of Disease
Development/Plasticity/Repair
Techniques in Neuroscience
I did really well in these courses and it would be nice if they count in my science gpa. Do you think they would consider the content of these courses?
I hope so:(:(:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Both MD BCPM and DO Sgpa would count them. For MD it's Bio, and for DO it's either other science or neurology. If they for some reason do not, then appeal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both MD BCPM and DO Sgpa would count them. For MD it's Bio, and for DO it's either other science or neurology. If they for some reason do not, then appeal.

nice, I'm taking behavioral, integrative, neuropharm, nsc lab methods, and cellular nsc before i apply, which one would apply as bcpm? all ?

nice, I'm taking behavioral, integrative, neuropharm, nsc lab methods, and cellular nsc before i apply, which one would apply as bcpm? all ?

All, exception is neuropharm, for DO it's science. For BCPM I believe pharmacology courses are not considered, however it's worth a try.

If they do not, how do I go about appealing? Would I have to proof that the courses are at least 75-80% science-based?
:mad: That rotten pre-health advisor said don't bother since they wont count. :mad:
:rolleyes: I don't trust that advisor though. They seem to be pushing everyone towards the post-bac programs. One girl I know only took the MCAT once, bombed it, and was told to just apply for a post-bacc or masters program. :mad:

is this behavorial neurosience under psych??

What about a class like NRSC Sensation and Perception?

It's correct that Neuroscience falls under "biology" for MD regardless of it being an independent department. If your class is offered under "neuroscience," it doesn't matter if it is about "perception."

Osteopathic? I don't know. I would venture to say it will count as Biology as well, but I haven't found anything that classifies Neuroscience.

It's correct that Neuroscience falls under "biology" for MD regardless of it being an independent department. If your class is offered under "neuroscience," it doesn't matter if it is about "perception."

Osteopathic? I don't know. I would venture to say it will count as Biology as well, but I haven't found anything that classifies Neuroscience.

Class is an easy A according to myedu.com. Good news for me. BCPM that needs all the boosting it can get:D