Neuroscience Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrgq912

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the shelf solely on brain stuff and its clinical disorders. Or does Neuroscience shelf integrate stuff learned from the rest of first year (liike physio, anatomy, etc).

Can a fesh grad student, such as my self, with enough hardwork ace the neuro shelf without having taken the rest of the first year medical school classes.

I am currently on the waitlist and taking a med school class and I heard getting an "A" in it would really help me get off the damn thing. But my the dean of my grad program emailed me today and told me I would be at disadvantage for the shelf not having taken physio, anatomy, and the rest of first year.

What should I do, I feel I am very capable student and can get an A in anything but risking the chance of getting a B/B+ is scary. I heard of people being waitlisted for getting a B in a medschool course while in grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know how much time you have... but if you pick up neuroscience HIGH YIELD and learn it very well and then practice with the Neurosciency PreTest you can be looking at mid 90's percentile wise.

it's very little brain anatomy. Very much more neurotransmitters and clinical syndromes, spinal tracts, etc. there is physio to the extent of the neurotransmitters and their actions. there is also a minimal amount of neuro from the rest of the body.

it is VERY in depth, but H.Y. neuro will get you covered if you know it inside and out.

INSTEAD OF CREATING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THE SAME OLD STUFF, I AM JUST BRINGING THIS ONE BACK FROM THE GRAVEYARD

My question is simple: I have the neuro shelf on friday and was wondering how many questions are on the neuroscience shelf? 125 or 150? or less/more?

Any other advice on this exam would be quite helpful and appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
typeB-md said:
i don't know how much time you have... but if you pick up neuroscience HIGH YIELD and learn it very well and then practice with the Neurosciency PreTest you can be looking at mid 90's percentile wise.

it's very little brain anatomy. Very much more neurotransmitters and clinical syndromes, spinal tracts, etc. there is physio to the extent of the neurotransmitters and their actions. there is also a minimal amount of neuro from the rest of the body.

it is VERY in depth, but H.Y. neuro will get you covered if you know it inside and out.

im takin the neuro shelf thurs. My prof wrote the pretest, and thise Q's are pretty simple..... the NBME outline doesnt really have much on neurotransmitters...but i guess ill study them anyway...

anything else HY? Im already using the HY neuro....

Bumping this thread.

What are the best resources to prepare for the Neuroscience NBME Shelf? I know BRS is emphasized for most of the other Shelf Exams (Histology, Anatomy, etc), but it doesn't seem to be as widely suggested for the Neuro Shelf.

I looked on another thread, and it seems like High Yield and Road Map are the books for review. For practice questions, it seems like the best sources are from BRS and the questions at the end of Haines.

For those of you who have taken it, do you agree with this?

Bumping this thread.

What are the best resources to prepare for the Neuroscience NBME Shelf? I know BRS is emphasized for most of the other Shelf Exams (Histology, Anatomy, etc), but it doesn't seem to be as widely suggested for the Neuro Shelf.

I looked on another thread, and it seems like High Yield and Road Map are the books for review. For practice questions, it seems like the best sources are from BRS and the questions at the end of Haines.

For those of you who have taken it, do you agree with this?

I used HY Neuro and did some of the BRS questions. I don't know what score you're shooting for but that was enough to get me ~70th percentile. Good luck! :luck:

Students in our department have been using NeuroPrep.com for the shelf and have found it useful. There was a discount coupon that you could use, it was

asddsa

I do not know it will still work but it is worth to try
:luck:

BRS neuro is THICK and often feels like its just a bunch of random facts thrown together, BUT -- IT WORKS! USE IT! It will get you 99th percentile! Make sure you know the clinical correlations (as with all shelves). And you might wanna make notecards to get the random stuff down.

Also, DON'T FORGET YOUR PERIPHERAL ANATOMY! You WILL SEE BRACHIAL PLEXUS!!!! (Which had me STRUGGLING to recall that "My Aunt Raped My Uncle" mnemonic from my Anatomy days which, up until that point, I had never that I'd use :laugh:)