Neuroscience to Clinical Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocFroggie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I have kind of a weird question and I'm not sure if it's been asked before. I'm almost done with bachelor's degrees in Biology, and Psychology with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience. I've always wanted to go to medical school and go on to become a doctor, but I was wondering if it is possible to obtain a PhD in clinical psych with my degrees? I'd like to do therapy work with patients aside from just prescribing medications, and I'm most interested in behavior and mental states.. Do I have to have a degree with a concentration in clinical psychology to go to graduate school for that? I know that for medical school you don't have to have a specific degree, you just have to meet requirements, but graduate school is more specific so I'm unsure.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
So I have kind of a weird question and I'm not sure if it's been asked before. I'm almost done with bachelor's degrees in Biology, and Psychology with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience. I've always wanted to go to medical school and go on to become a doctor, but I was wondering if it is possible to obtain a PhD in clinical psych with my degrees? I'd like to do therapy work with patients aside from just prescribing medications, and I'm most interested in behavior and mental states.. Do I have to have a degree with a concentration in clinical psychology to go to graduate school for that? I know that for medical school you don't have to have a specific degree, you just have to meet requirements, but graduate school is more specific so I'm unsure.
Thanks

At the undergrad level, there is just the BA or BS in psychology-specialization is not offered until graduate school.

That's what I was under the impression of, then the other day my advisor told me that picking a concentration was like pre-picking a specialty? That confused me a bit. I assumed he meant that whatever concentration you chose to study was the grad schools you could apply to, but the concentration doesn't even show on the degree...

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was under the impression of, then the other day my advisor told me that picking a concentration was like pre-picking a specialty? That confused me a bit. I assumed he meant that whatever concentration you chose to study was the grad schools you could apply to, but the concentration doesn't even show on the degree...

You lost me there.

Regardless, Ph.D programs in clinical psychology (and counseling psychology) are require significant evidence of research experience/involvement, GPA 3.5 and above and solid GRE scores.

You probably already know this, but you mentioned doing both med prescribing and therapy. In most states, a PhD in clin psych does not allow you to prescribe meds. In a few states you can get additional training to allow you to do so, but they're few (I can't recall how many states there are now).

and as erg923 said, specialization isn't a thing programs expect out of undergrad. Most programs don't offer any kind of concentration/focus for an undergrad psych degree. What grad schools do expect is some solid research experience and evidence that you can be a successful student (good grades, GRE). Make some time for research if you haven't already if you want to do clin psych.

Hello,
Thanks
Unless you are absolutely sure at this point that you don't want to be a physician and want to be a psychologist, then keep heading for med school. If you continue to be interested in behavioral neuroscience and providing psychotherapy, there is plenty of room and need for that in psychiatry. First thing is to decide physician or psychologist and keep in mind the former means at least 200k and the former about 100k (or less as market continues to get flooded). Also, you will be making money much sooner going the med school route than the psychologist route.

Reactions: 1 users
My undergraduate degree is in neuroscience. I'm currently in a clinical psychology PhD program, with a research focus in neuro. I also debated the psychiatry/psychology route, but got scared off by the med school price tag. Depending where you go to school, the tuition alone is anywhere from $40K- $60k, not including living expenses. Psychiatry residents get paid ~55K , and residency is 4 years long. Yes, in the end you're making more money than you would as a psychologist, but with more debt (assuming you go to a funded PhD program). This is all highly variable depending on which program you go to and how much financial assistance you get, but 200k a year starts to look a lot smaller when you have 200k+ in debt. I decided that I personally would rather live frugally on a psychology student stipend than take on a med school debt load. There were other factors in my decision, including my interests/career goals and the fact that I got into a funded psych PhD program close to family and my partner's job. I also made plans to keep contributing to my IRA in grad school. There are benefits and drawbacks to each path. You should research what each career entails and decide what you are willing/not willing to take on in terms of debt, low salary, job hours, etc.

I'm sure you've considered it, but another option would of course be MD/PhD. I've met a number of folks in both Neurology and Psychiatry who completed their PhD in neuroscience.

The downside being the extra 4-ish years of school for the PhD. The upside being that, I believe, MD/PhD students receive tuition waivers. Not sure if that's only for the PhD portion and/or if they have to work as TAs/RAs while completing medical school.

I've always wanted to go to medical school and go on to become a doctor, but I was wondering if it is possible to obtain a PhD in clinical psych with my degrees? I'd like to do therapy work with patients aside from just prescribing medications, and I'm most interested in behavior and mental states..

Sure, but why the switch? Becoming a psychiatrist won't prevent you from practicing psychotherapy. You'd just need to make sure you received the appropriate training (some residencies emphasize therapy training more than others, and many physicians who are interested in psychotherapy continue to seek further training post-residency). On the other hand, becoming a psychologist will not prepare you to prescribe meds. If you think you'd like to have both options at your disposal as a clinician, medical school makes more sense.

No, you got some confusing advice. Clinical psych PhD applicants often have neuroscience-oriented backgrounds (especially if they are interested in neuropsychology). It doesn't really matter. What matters is good grades, good GRE scores, research experience, and a good fit with the program/mentor.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Thanks

A couple of things come to mind. First, I have a master's in cognitive neuroscience, so I am very familiar with histological and imaging/scanning techniques I learned during my program. I actually attended my program with the intention of going into clinical psychology and specializing in neuropsychology. A lot of people in my master's program either continued on to the Ph.D. program (I could have technically stayed on and completed three more years for the Ph.D.), and many others went to medical school. Funny enough, I think maybe 5% of those in my program have gone onto clinical or counseling psychology doctoral programs. Either way, having that kind of background will serve you well. As the curriculum changes within APA programs, you will find a shift to a more medical model starting to emerge. With that in mind, you will see that graduates "today" are learning about neuroscience (behavioral and/or cognitive) more than ever (which I find to be a great thing).

The other thing to consider is, you don't need to feel limited in your training. For example, when I completed my master's, I had abstracts in neuropsychology as a means to supplement my rigorous cognitive neuroscience training. I did this because I knew neuropsychology is broad even in its own right. I started out doing typical NP batteries for prototypical clinical cases in dementia. I found that that population wasn't my cup of tea, so I started to explore more what I could do in neuropsychology, especially with respect to neuro-rehabilitation. In this "sub-speciality," I found that I could merge my interests of neuropsychology and neuroscience with cognitive remediation/rehabilitation techniques. I enjoy neuroimaging as well, so I knew I could fuse that within my research I currently conduct. There are several externships, internships and post-docs (e.g., Dartmouth's post-doc in clinical neuropsychology and brain imaging research) that has strengths in neuro-rehabilitation and will equip you with strong neuroimaging training.

In the end, these are some personal examples and examples that I have found to be true with many of my professional acquaintances who also elected to broaden their horizons so-to-speak with respect to their education. I think if you really enjoy neuroscience but also like the elements of professional psychology and extrapolating that knowledge into clinical practice, there is no reason for you not to entertain that idea. I would suggest getting into a lab if you are not already so that you can start teasing out your research preferences and populations you see yourself ideally working with. Remember, even as a doctoral student, your concept of what interests you will change and shift, so this is also a period for which you can solidify what you will do as a professional. Science and academia is an institution of perpetual change (to take a page for forensics), so don't be too put off if you are still unsure about what you want to do.

I hope this help.

Last edited:
I'm sure you've considered it, but another option would of course be MD/PhD. I've met a number of folks in both Neurology and Psychiatry who completed their PhD in neuroscience.

The downside being the extra 4-ish years of school for the PhD. The upside being that, I believe, MD/PhD students receive tuition waivers. Not sure if that's only for the PhD portion and/or if they have to work as TAs/RAs while completing medical school.

I had a friend who was an MD/PhD. All of his schooling was funded (MD and PhD; I know his PhD had a stipend; I can't remember whether he had a stipend for the MD part). I think that's pretty typical. With that said, it is a LONG haul, especially if you end up picking a medical specialty that requires a long residency (e.g., neurosurgery). It almost burned him out. Furthermore, it is RIDICULOUSLY competitive. His MCATs and those of his MD/PhD classmates were high enough that they could be hired on to teach review courses for Princeton Review, for example. He also had a 3.9+ from a very well known undergrad in engineering. Getting into medical school is already ridiculously competitive.....the MD/PhD is a totally different beast. Definitely an option......but probably an option that requires extremely good test taking skills (among lots of other things).

Reactions: 1 users