Neuroscience vs. Neuroanatomy Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken one or the other and found it helpful for bigger picture understanding/the MCAT? I have the option of both for this next semester, and I'm not sure which will serve me better in the long run.

I can also PM course descriptions if that would help. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Neuroscience helps (but barely)...the classes tend to go way more in-depth than what you are expected to know for the MCAT so you don't have to take it if you don't want to. Neuroanatomy is not really necessary for the MCAT at all, nothing came up for me outside of P/S related stuff (knowing the cortical areas of the brain and their functions). I majored in Neuroscience and still had to spend a lot of time reviewing B/B, because it is less content-based and more reasoning complicated scientific passages. I posted this in another forum, but here's something on reddit that describes B/B to the tea:

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 6.12.44 PM.png

Neuroscience helps (but barely)...the classes tend to go way more in-depth than what you are expected to know for the MCAT so you don't have to take it if you don't want to. Neuroanatomy is not really necessary for the MCAT at all, nothing came up for me outside of P/S related stuff (knowing the cortical areas of the brain and their functions). I majored in Neuroscience and still had to spend a lot of time reviewing B/B, because it is less content-based and more reasoning complicated scientific passages. I posted this in another forum, but here's something on reddit that describes B/B to the tea:

View attachment 317590

Lol I've seen that! I was thinking less for B/B but more for P/S, but I see that you said neuroscience was somewhat helpful for that and neuroanatomy was unnecessary.

Did you enjoy one class more than the other? I'd definitely like to fit in one of those because I like neuro, but both sound equally interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I've seen that! I was thinking less for B/B but more for P/S, but I see that you said neuroscience was somewhat helpful for that and neuroanatomy was unnecessary.

Did you enjoy one class more than the other? I'd definitely like to fit in one of those because I like neuro, but both sound equally interesting.

I enjoyed both, but I think I liked neuroscience (they called it neurobiology I at my school) better because you briefly touch on the anatomy of the nervous system and then go more in-depth into the physiology of the nervous system (how nerve impulses are transmitted, the physiology of the somatosensory system, the spinal cord tracts, neurological disorders, and a lot of other interesting stuff). I actually think neurobiology might help a lot more for P/S because you go over sensation/perception (it might be different for your class though because some schools will separate sensation/perception for a different class).

I don't remember too much from my neuroanatomy class, but you do learn about spinal cord pathways, which I thought was very interesting. You go into a more detailed view of the anatomy of the brain (more than you would get out of a traditional anatomy class). I think you would get most of the anatomy you need from your neuroscience/neurobiology class, but some schools will require neuroanatomy or before you take neurobiology.

I enjoyed both, but I think I liked neuroscience (they called it neurobiology I at my school) better because you briefly touch on the anatomy of the nervous system and then go more in-depth into the physiology of the nervous system (how nerve impulses are transmitted, the physiology of the somatosensory system, the spinal cord tracts, neurological disorders, and a lot of other interesting stuff). I actually think neurobiology might help a lot more for P/S because you go over sensation/perception (it might be different for your class though because some schools will separate sensation/perception for a different class).

I don't remember too much from my neuroanatomy class, but you do learn about spinal cord pathways, which I thought was very interesting. You go into a more detailed view of the anatomy of the brain (more than you would get out of a traditional anatomy class). I think you would get most of the anatomy you need from your neuroscience/neurobiology class, but some schools will require neuroanatomy or before you take neurobiology.

Wow, thank you so much for the thoughtful reply! I appreciate it :)

Reactions: 1 user