Neurosurg vs. Ortho resident/attending life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im possibly considering goin into neurosurg or ortho but i have a couple of preguntas (questions lol)

1. generally speaking, which specialty has a tougher residency period? (im not talking about length cause i know neurosurg is definitely longer. im mainly talking about intensity of training, on call, hours, etc. everything excluding length of training)

2. which specialty is more competitive to get into?

3. which specialty usually has better hours as an attending? (in hospital practice, not private or group practice)

Members don't see this ad.

im possibly considering goin into neurosurg or ortho but i have a couple of preguntas (questions lol)

1. generally speaking, which specialty has a tougher residency period? (im not talking about length cause i know neurosurg is definitely longer. im mainly talking about intensity of training, on call, hours, etc. everything excluding length of training)

2. which specialty is more competitive to get into?

3. which specialty usually has better hours as an attending? (in hospital practice, not private or group practice)

1. NSG

2. Ortho, but not by much

3. Ortho, but not by much in the situation you describe

I agree with DrDre's comments except according to the most recent comparable statistics, nsg and ortho are essentially equally competitive.

Agree with the above.

You still have lots of time to decide which specialty you like better - just do elective rotations if you can, and try to shadow some attendings from Ortho/NSGY to see which you prefer.