Neurosurgery or Urology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF DO

WVSOM 2011 - PBL
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a little bit of guidance here. I am currently a 3rd year student at WVSOM ( DO school). I am ranked top of my class and I just received a 680 on COMLEX Step 1 (98/99th percentile). I have not taken the USMLE Step 1 and I was curious as to how this may affect me and if I should consider taking Step 2 USMLE.

The two specialties I am interested in are Neurosurgery or Urology. I am also an AF HPSP student. I am wondering about my chances of getting one of these residencies with my statistics (assuming I continue to do well on my rotations and future COMLEX exams).

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Jeremy

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a little bit of guidance here. I am currently a 3rd year student at WVSOM ( DO school). I am ranked top of my class and I just received a 680 on COMLEX Step 1 (98/99th percentile). I have not taken the USMLE Step 1 and I was curious as to how this may affect me and if I should consider taking Step 2 USMLE.

The two specialties I am interested in are Neurosurgery or Urology. I am also an AF HPSP student. I am wondering about my chances of getting one of these residencies with my statistics (assuming I continue to do well on my rotations and future COMLEX exams).

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Jeremy

It will all depend on who is also applying the year you are. 680 is a good COMLEX. For NS, you will likely need to do it on the outside. There is one slot in all of DoD for NS and each service competes for it. I don't know how DO applicants fair in the civilian NS match. Urology may be a little easier, but I don't know how many Urologists the AF needs.