Neurosurgery program/residency without Medical School Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eksayek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Heard that there is a program for students who are interested in neurosurgery without having to go through medical school. Is this true? Has anyone heard of anything like this? Being accepted into a allopathic residency without a Medical Degree, I know it sounds absurd but this is just from what I have heard by couple students.

Members don't see this ad.

I Heard that there is a program for students who are interested in neurosurgery without having to go through medical school. Is this true? Has anyone heard of anything like this? Being accepted into a allopathic residency without a Medical Degree, I know it sounds absurd but this is just from what I have heard by couple students.

Only thing I know of is the physician assistant program 1 year neurosurg residency..
Much of the time in neurosurg they are too busy to teach...:idea:

No. If you mean Medical Degree as in (MD), then its possible, and very limited as a DO to be accpeted in to an allo residency. But in order to take Step I and II you have to be in medical school (MD or DO), and you will NOT get a residency at all without taking step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it possible to take the USMLE 1 and 2 without attending medical school, or taking atleast USMLE 1 without going to medical school?

is it possible to take the USMLE 1 and 2 without attending medical school, or taking atleast USMLE 1 without going to medical school?

No. Even foreign medical graduates must be enrolled or have completed their country's equivalent of a US medical education. Besides, even if it were possible you'd likely score a 12 or something.

Nope. You have to be enrolled in med school just to sign up for it.

No offense, but are you serious?

No offense, but are you serious?

That was exactly what I thought.

This is obviously not true.

hmm, find that really hard to believe...

I believe this is an excellent example of "winding you up," "taking the piss," "ragging," "teasing," etc.