Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celsus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I need some advice. I want to be a neurosurgeon but really dont know where to begin. I go to a school that doesn't have a program affiliated with it. I was wondering what class rank is needed. Also what is the usual cutoff for board scores and what kind of research is needed. Any advice... I would like to go to a program in the Southern US but am pretty flexible. I have looked through some of the other posts but didnt find much that was helpful. Also where are the best programs? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

board scores are the most important part of your application in neurosurgery.
This may be more important if your school is not affiliated with a neurosurgery program.

I recommend you to consider programs in the north area as well.

1-do well on your boards..no excuse of not performing well on them.
2-hook up with a busy local neurosurgery and arrange to do an early voluntary rotation. You can call them and ask you are interested in rotating in your free time. It would be ideal if your local neurosurgeon is someone who is interested in publishing even some clinical cases. So you get the chance to publish while in med school.
3-arrange rotations in name programs. I can suggest one if you are interested. A letter coming from a name place can enhance your application tremendously.
4-do away if possible with geographical preferences. If you are seeking good training you have to sacrifice those years away from home if this is needed.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Sincerely,

Paulista.

How well on boards??

Members don't see this ad :)
Average match last year was 230-235. Keep in mind that if you have <240 you better have PhD after your name and more than one paper (IMHO).

Hi Celsus- I was just wondering why you are interested in neurosurgery and how much exposure you have had to the field? Whenever I tell other medical students or residents, even attendings that I am interested in neurosurgery...they always ask me why???? No one ever has anything positive to say about neurosurgery. Does anyone else want to comment on this negative preception of the field? Specifically, ppl talk about dealing with chronically ill patients that do not get better, workers compensation, untreatable chronic back pain, horrible lifestyle....

thanks

Celsus said:
OK I need some advice. I want to be a neurosurgeon but really dont know where to begin. I go to a school that doesn't have a program affiliated with it. I was wondering what class rank is needed. Also what is the usual cutoff for board scores and what kind of research is needed. Any advice... I would like to go to a program in the Southern US but am pretty flexible. I have looked through some of the other posts but didnt find much that was helpful. Also where are the best programs? Thanks

Celsus: www.nsmatch.com. This is the forum you need to check out. Attendings to residents to med students in neurosurgery post here.

Just to put my 2 cents in, board scores are key. Strong letters from the heavy hitters as well as research experience are important. Research doesn't neccesarily have to be published, but you pretty much can't match if you haven't done any in med school. A lot of applicants take a year off to this end. Just check out nsmatch.com.

You do not need a PhD if your board scores are less than 240. That is complete bull****. Also, while you do need to show you did some research work, you don't have to be published, though it certainly helps.

Remember, there are different admission standards at a range of neurosurgery residencies, you may not match at UCSF without a 240 and PhD, but you can certainly match at many other high quality programs.

He is right about the average board score for matched applicants though.

NSGY Res, PGY4

triquetras said:
Hi Celsus- I was just wondering why you are interested in neurosurgery and how much exposure you have had to the field? Whenever I tell other medical students or residents, even attendings that I am interested in neurosurgery...they always ask me why???? No one ever has anything positive to say about neurosurgery. Does anyone else want to comment on this negative preception of the field? Specifically, ppl talk about dealing with chronically ill patients that do not get better, workers compensation, untreatable chronic back pain, horrible lifestyle....

thanks

Ask a neurosurgery resident or attending. Other attendings/residents will not have a proper appreciation. Most of our patients get better, we constantly save people's lives and give them back their previous existance. Chronic lower back pain is a small percentage of what we deal with regarding spine.

Its a pretty freaking awesome field if you ask me.

NSGY Res, PGY4