NEUROSURGERY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Two questions:

(1) How long is neurosurgery residency? I
read both 5 and 6 years (including
internship).

(2) How competitive is placement into a solid
neurosurgery residency for DO graduates?

Thank you!

Together

"The unexamined life is not worth living"
- Socrates

Members don't see this ad.

I believe neurosurg is a six-year program. The programs that are "five-year" don't count internship, which for the most part, is one in general surgery and not neurosurgery (even at the six-year programs, the internship year is spent in general surgery).

As for the difficulty of a DO snagging a neurosurg residency, I think it's extremely difficult. Neurosurg MD residencies are pretty darn hard to come by, and I don't think there are all too many Neurosurg DO residencies out there. I do know that one exists at LIJ sponsored by NYCOM, but know nothing more about it.

Tim of New York City.

Hello,

In answer to your questions:

1) Most neurosurgery programs are 6 years long, which is 1 year surgical internship plus 5 years neurosurgery. Some have gone to 1 + 6 for a total of 7 years. There are 8 osteopathic programs that are all 6 years total, with a 1 year rotating internship + 5 neurosurgery.

2) Neurosurgery is very competitive. I am currently in the process of applying to both the MD and DO programs and have received interviews at both. I would be more than happy to fill you in on more details if you wish. Just contact me at my e-mail address.

Ryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello again,

I thought my e-mail address would be attached. Anyway it is [email protected]

Ryan

Don't let Tim of NYC discourage you. I know one young lady from Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine who accepted a neurosurgery residency. It is not something I want to do, but it is possible.

The ball bounces both ways. If you want to do an emergency medicine residency in the State of Oklahoma, you must be a D.O. and go through a D.O. residency. The allopathic residency was stripped of certification a few years ago, and has been unable to become recertified.

As a D.O. you may do allopathic or osteopathic residencies. Granted, you may have to move to a "more informed" state, (i.e. a state that has a D.O. medical college, and thus have a large mix of Allo and Osteo physicians in practice together). Residency directors who have worked with D.O.'s do not buy into the "inferior physician" routine, and you will be a competitive applicant.

Good Luck.

Thanks, guys.

I wish you the best of success with your careers!

Together

Anyone care to share how they fared in the Neurosurgery Match?

Hello,

I matched at Doctor's Hospital/Ohio University in Columbus, OH. Again, anyone interested in Neurosurgery don't hesitate to contact me. I will be more than happy to pass on any information I have learned along the away regarding the matching process or neurosurgery in general.

Ryan

I have a question. The general perception amongst MDs and DOs is that it is exremely difficult for a DO to match into Neurosurgery. Some think it is due to bias against DOs due to the small numbers that match into Neurosurgery. My theory is that there are very few DOs who wind up even applying to a MD Neurosurgery program.

Do you know how many DOs applied this year to the MD Neurosurgery residencies? Do most DOs interested in Neurosurgery wind up going through the DO match, MD match, or both.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I regret not applying for Neurosurgery, I bought into the idea that there was no way a DO could match for Neurosurgery. Unfortunately, it is too late for me now. As a DO who did match this year, I hoped you could clear up some of the misconceptions that exist out there and if there were any barriers to being a DO. I've met a lot of DOs now who have matched in allopathic Neurosurgery residencies, I wish I had met them earlier in my career. Thanks.

drlee,

The program I am going to, Doctor's Hospital/Ohio University, is an osteopathic program that I matched with through the AOA match. I did in fact sign up for the SFMatch (MD early match for neurosurgery) and had several MD interviews. However, I dropped from the MD match and did not submit a rank list in favor of the AOA match.

I completely agree with your theory. The DO world is very small compared with the MD world. Coupled with the fact that most of our graduates pursue primary care specialties, it is not surprising that you do not see too many DO students going for neurosurgery. I was very well received at the MD programs I interviewed at and it was made very clear to me that I was a strong canidate. However, there is still some bias out there. There were programs that would not interview/accept an application from a DO. I think this is mainly due to the problem stated earlier, there is just not a lot of exposure to DO students in the world of MD neurosurgery. What field did you match into? If you do have other questions, feel free to contact me at my e-mail at [email protected]

Take care,

Ryan

Originally posted by RBar:
drlee,

The program I am going to, Doctor's Hospital/Ohio University, is an osteopathic program that I matched with through the AOA match. I did in fact sign up for the SFMatch (MD early match for neurosurgery) and had several MD interviews. However, I dropped from the MD match and did not submit a rank list in favor of the AOA match.

I completely agree with your theory. The DO world is very small compared with the MD world. Coupled with the fact that most of our graduates pursue primary care specialties, it is not surprising that you do not see too many DO students going for neurosurgery. I was very well received at the MD programs I interviewed at and it was made very clear to me that I was a strong canidate. However, there is still some bias out there. There were programs that would not interview/accept an application from a DO. I think this is mainly due to the problem stated earlier, there is just not a lot of exposure to DO students in the world of MD neurosurgery. What field did you match into? If you do have other questions, feel free to contact me at my e-mail at [email protected]

Take care,

Ryan

I applied for Radiology through the NRMP match. Thanks for all your information, I wish I had met some other DO Neurosurgery applicants earlier in med school. I know some 2nd and 3rd years interested in Neurosurgery. I will give them your email if you don't mind.

drlee,

Good luck with the NRMP match. By all means, if you know anyone interested in neurosurgery pass on my e-mail address. I would be more than happy to help out other students in any way I can. Even if it is just passing on some of the things I have learned along the way.

Ryan

I am a high school student interested in becoming a neurosurgeon. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone in high school, anything you would have told your high school self that you wish you had done? Is there anything I should be doing now that will help me later, anything I should be reading, any program I should be doing?

I am a high school student interested in becoming a neurosurgeon. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone in high school, anything you would have told your high school self that you wish you had done? Is there anything I should be doing now that will help me later, anything I should be reading, any program I should be doing?

Do you have a map of the cat?

Reactions: 1 user

Apple, do you realize you just necro'd a 13 year old thread?

As a high school there's nothing you can do now to help your neurosurgery chances except get into a solid university for your bachelors. Maybe shadow a doc or two and see if you actually like medicine as a field (much less Nsg).

Haha gotta love this thread. Dude go have some fun. I also wanted to become a doctor very early in my life but don't start thinking about what to do to get into medical school and residency in high school. And then in college, find yourself, and later on start with all that crap

Don't become that super smart pre-med that has no life experiences, and subsequently gets rejected from medical school because they are a piece of wood. The best thing you can do is experience life. That's what you can do right now

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users