Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to have a strong background in math to be involved in neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

The only number you need to worry about is your Step 1 score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not know that Math was part of the basic sciences curriculum in med school...

Yea... neurosurgery residencies generally only accept MD/PhDs who got their PhD in pure or applied mathematics.

Man has no way of cutting into the brain so neurosurgeons have to focus their mental math powers into a ephemeral blade of pure awesome that plunges into the brain and teleports out the tumor. Only PhDs in math or physics are known to be able to develop this arcane ability but physicists are often rejected because they are too tied to the realm of reality while mathematicians are off thinking in N-space.

I doubt Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN has any math skills:rolleyes:

Yea... neurosurgery residencies generally only accept MD/PhDs who got their PhD in pure or applied mathematics.

Man has no way of cutting into the brain so neurosurgeons have to focus their mental math powers into a ephemeral blade of pure awesome that plunges into the brain and teleports out the tumor. Only PhDs in math or physics are known to be able to develop this arcane ability but physicists are often rejected because they are too tied to the realm of reality while mathematicians are off thinking in N-space.

Oh, is THAT what my calc professor was doing alone in his office that made him so embarrassed when I walked in? Now I get it.

Do you have to have a strong background in math to be involved in neurosurgery?

From what I have gathered from the Neurosurgeons I have worked with...you don't need much of a brackground in anything...just try not to cut through anything too important.

A brain that has touched blood or air is never quite the same.