Neurotic: Guilty as charged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the study guides for USMLE Step 1 useful for studying first year? Do they help you focus for regular exams? Does it make any sense to begin using them as you go through your first year (and then second, obviously) in prep for Step 1 or is it too early to even begin?

If yes to any of the above, which book(s) do you suggest?

Yes, I do need professional help.

Members don't see this ad.

While I agree that you need help the best preps for Step 1 (so i've heard) are the first Aids and the materials from NBME, I think you can buy all of these at Medsite.com

Actually, First Aid For The Boards lists NOT using board review books during the first year for class references to be a major mistake of many med students. I have used review books for a few classes to get a feel of what I was learning and what was most important for me to remember long-term. I've found them quite helpful and plan to review them this summer. While it might be "neurotic," I am not a good test taker and have found them to be lifesavers. Go for it! In particular, I would recommend First Aid, the James Fix High Yield neuroanatomy book, and a blue softcover board review series (don't remember author or publisher) for physiology -- this last one is excellent for several blocks.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses -- I've heard a number of folks recommend the First Aid series. The others I will look into. Thanks again.

(Any other suggestions are welcomed)