donovank730

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2013
Illinois res with a 33 mcat after a 29 the first time

Non traditional, non URM, older(27)

3.55 GPA with a 3.75 sGPA

Pretty solid EC's with 3000 hours work as a medical assistant and 1000 hours volunteering at a homeless outreach; ongoing research as well.

I submitted late Aug(24ish) to 9 schools. So far no word... no holds, no rejections, no II's

SI figured Rush/UIC/Loyola/Rosalind Franklin all seemed like safe bets, but no love so far. I honestly did no apply to to many out of state schools that were super "safe". I applied to tufts, and Loma Linda(I am a christian currently at another christian institution). Also applied to Uwisc, UNC, USC and UCSD (wife is from cali and I lived there for a few years)

I know that this post is neurotic in itself and it is still early, I am just tweaking seeing all these people get II's and I am setting here in complete silence.

Should I apply D.O? I do not want to wait another full year to matriculate somewhere.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You could add schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson. Yes, apply to several DO schools. MU-COM, CCCOM, DMU-COM, ATSU-KCOM and KCUMB-COM are all in the midwest and you are competitive for all of them.

Reactions: gyngyn

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Most of the people you see getting IIs applied way earlier than you. It's under a month since you submitted your secondaries, no reason to think you'd have heard anything yet. You could apply to DO schools regardless though.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yes, apply to DO schools. Coming from a fellow "last week of August submitter", we're a bit behind most applicants so I don't anticipate hearing back until mid October at the earliest. As a result, I went ahead and put in my DO app. I suggest you do the same (particularly if you really do not want to sit out a year).

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I agree 100% with my learned colleague. You apps to UNC and UCSD will be a mere donation for those schools. Suggest adding, even at this date, SLU and MCW.

The DO cycle is longer and you're fine for any DO school, so start with CCOM, DMU, and MUCOM

Illinois res with a 33 mcat after a 29 the first time

Non traditional, non URM, older(27)

3.55 GPA with a 3.75 sGPA

Pretty solid EC's with 3000 hours work as a medical assistant and 1000 hours volunteering at a homeless outreach; ongoing research as well.

I submitted late Aug(24ish) to 9 schools. So far no word... no holds, no rejections, no II's

SI figured Rush/UIC/Loyola/Rosalind Franklin all seemed like safe bets, but no love so far. I honestly did no apply to to many out of state schools that were super "safe". I applied to tufts, and Loma Linda(I am a christian currently at another christian institution). Also applied to Uwisc, UNC, USC and UCSD (wife is from cali and I lived there for a few years)

I know that this post is neurotic in itself and it is still early, I am just tweaking seeing all these people get II's and I am setting here in complete silence.

Should I apply D.O? I do not want to wait another full year to matriculate somewhere.

You could add schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson. Yes, apply to several DO schools. MU-COM, CCCOM, DMU-COM, ATSU-KCOM and KCUMB-COM are all in the midwest and you are competitive for all of them.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Wait another 4-6 weeks or so before starting to think about hitting the panic button

There is no safe bet when talking about schools like Loyola and Rush that get close to 10k apps and Rosalind that gets 13k a year(and tons of their matriculants went to their SMP). That's a mistake to assume that. Yes, your odds are best at Loyola, Rush and Illinois but these are hardly anything close to sure things to even give you II's.

If you fit Loma Linda's mission and its shown through your ECs you'll be a competitive candidate. But again, it's one school; the odds at any one school OOS will never be too favorable. Tufts also gets tons of apps.

UNC and UCSD are hail mary's basically. U of Wisconsin OOS is very competitive. You might have a shot at USC but your stats are below average at a very competitive school; ie another long shot.

Listen to Goro and Faha's addition for schools. Your biggest bang for your buck will be schools that don't get loaded with tons of apps or don't have really small class sizes. Medical College Wisconsin, Creighton, Saint Louis, Wake Forest, Oakland and Quinnipac come to mind as potential examples. Even this late I would consider them. Southern Illinois if you are from the southern part of the state is an absolute must; if you are from the southern part your odds of finding an MD school will be strongest there probably.

I agree with the above about adding DO schools. You are very competitive for a number of ones in your relative vicinity Faha listed.