1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Never got it fully answered: Books

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by stifler, Nov 18, 2005.

1. stifler

stifler Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So After Next Semester Ill be done with all my premed requirements with 1 semester of Biochem I. I plan on studying for the MCATs alone this summer. Then taking a prep course next summer.

My NEEDS are: interesting books that keep my attention span and explanation of things so I don't need to flip through my text book. For my summer studies, I wish to get the easier book problems so I dont get discouraged since I'm doing it alone. But, I want to stress that I want a prep book that I can use to teach me concepts because I have a really bad memory. Especially for physics since I am taking PChem after this summer.

So which TPR, EK, or Kaplan is for me?

Ps:I'm leaning towards EK because it is colorful, textbook like, and supposedly for ppl who have scored under 30 on the MCATs which is a good start for me since I would score under 30 is I took the test tomorrow.

I just want to know the benefits for TPK and Kaplan as well as EK. And downsides... Thanks!

2. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    Confused about something............

Are you going to take it this summer or just study for the test this summer and take it the following summer??????????????????????????????

3. stifler

stifler Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

im just studying for it this summer. NOT taking it this summer.

also be nice if the books explained things well. i need to brush up on physics for PChem.

4. EndSong

EndSong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

ExamKracker books are amazing for just about every subject. I would recommend the entire set. They're very straight-forward reads that tell you everything you need to know. The pictures are memorable and you can read an entire ExamKracker book over a weekend and work on the details as you study some more.

Both PR and Kaplan are good although I would caution you to avoid Kaplan's tests which to me have always seemed either ridiculously easy or ridiculously difficult. Also the Kaplan prep tests have very skewed grading curves. I think both have impractical study methods for verbal. PR verbal questions however are very close to the real thing.

5. stifler

stifler Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Also since I will be taking the MCATs in 2 summers they are using the Computer Test. Will the material be different? Can I use old books to study for it?

6. PneoDr

PneoDr Member
    5+ Year Member

A summer is enough time to study for the exam. If I were in your shoes, I would study and take the exam. In two summers you will be many months separated from key courses like genetics, cell biology, gen chemistries, physics, etc.

neo

7. stifler

stifler Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

my book question is still unanswered... :-/

8. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd hold off buying materials until the new updated materials are being sold. Mainly because no one knows if content will be further cut since the questions will be cut too.

9. finch

finch Member
    5+ Year Member

Generally, I think that Princeton books are supposed to be the most in depth and intense. Kaplan are considered intermediate, while examkrackers are the least in depth but also the easiest read. If you want something that will hold your attention, I think that examkrackers would be your best bet. Honestly, though, I don't know how much studying this summer will help you if you hold off a whole year for the test.

10. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While I understand where you are coming from it would not hurt to study as others have previously.

11. Khanal007

Khanal007 Member
    7+ Year Member

this may be a personal question, but since we're all anonymous basically on here, here it goes: What is your current BCMP gpa? Have you been doing well in your prereq's?

If you've been doing well, I'll plead with you to take the test this summer -- cause if you study all summer, you'll forget a lot of material by the time the following summer rolls along and you'll have to relearn it all again. I forget a lot of the nit picky things that I had down cold just 5 months ago when taking the August test. I'd have to learn it all again.

As for books. Verbal -- get EK, no question. I like kaplan sciences, but don't know how TPR and EK are.