Oct 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anybody know of someone who tried everything to get into medical school but never made it? Someone who applied over 4 times and never got in? Please share your stories..

Flashfan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2010
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Well I know of someone that failed three times, then went Caribbean. Failed after 2 years. He went back to school and is a nurse. He plans to do CRNA or NP eventually.

OP
N
Oct 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for sharing. Do you know why he was unsuccessful in applying to medical school?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I had a friend who tried 3x I think. Even got a MS degree but still couldn't do it. Just as well. he later told me that medical school would have flattened him. Knowing what my students go through, I believe it. He later went into science and has done quite well.

Not everyone is cut out for medical school.

Does anybody know of someone who tried everything to get into medical school but never made it? Someone who applied over 4 times and never got in? Please share your stories..

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would go so far as to say most people, even wonderful people, are not cut out for this.
Indeed. I'm only, what, 10 weeks in? I was in no way prepared for the volume and breadth of material. I don't think one can be. I'm doing well but it's almost incomprehensible how demanding it is.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Most people cut their losses eventually and stop applying. There are plenty of people that do everything and don't get in though.

Jun 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would go so far as to say most people, even wonderful people, are not cut out for this.
<Sigh>
I'm beginning to think a lot of people who make it all the way through medical school are not cut out for this.
Since getting to residency, I've been disappointed every single day by the (non-teaching) attendings, peers and students who reveal in ever more upsetting ways that they merely see this as a job.

Several. There is no single story. People fail for all sorts of reasons.

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
<Sigh>
I'm beginning to think a lot of people who make it all the way through medical school are not cut out for this.
Since getting to residency, I've been disappointed every single day by the (non-teaching) attendings, peers and students who reveal in every more upsetting ways that they merely see this as a job.
Let's hope that they will nevertheless, find a way to be of service. Burnout takes a heavy toll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I have manyyyy friends who gave up after preparing for/taking the MCAT. Two of them did apply with sub-20 scores and obviously did not get in.

anbuitachi

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status
Attending Physician
<Sigh>
Since getting to residency, I've been disappointed every single day by the (non-teaching) attendings, peers and students who reveal in ever more upsetting ways that they merely see this as a job.

Several. There is no single story. People fail for all sorts of reasons.
i think its because it's so hard to leave medicine once you are in due to the years/effort lost + huge debt. you end up w/ a lot of ppl who are unhappy

Oct 22, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Physicians have the highest rate of suicide. It's a miserable career. Sure you make decent money after FOREVER, but you still have compounding loans. If I were to go back to undergrad, I'd probably pursue a degree in finance or maybe medical lab science or something. Bankers don't need to get up at 4am because someone had a stroke and the ER docs wanted a "consult".

Reactions: GaiusOctavius
Jun 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Physicians have the highest rate of suicide. It's a miserable career. Sure you make decent money after FOREVER, but you still have compounding loans. If I were to go back to undergrad, I'd probably pursue a degree in finance or maybe medical lab science or something. Bankers don't need to get up at 4am because someone had a stroke and the ER docs wanted a "consult".
Yes, but having several friends who work as I bankers at top companies, they have a significant amount of stress and crazy hours demanded out of them, only with the possibility of getting pushed out once they are older and can no longer physically handle it.

I would much rather dedicate myself to a position with greater workload upfront and a 100k+ salary for years after. Plus, there's knowing your in a job that is directly helping, even though it becomes harder to see later on

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Well not 4 times, but 2-3 times. I don't think people generally try much more after 2-3 times because it becomes pretty expensive.

I personally know a current physician (who is also an adcom), that went through four cycles.

Last edited:

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
<Sigh>
Honestly it IS just a job.

It's a job I've worked my ass off for, a job I'm passionate about, and a job that I get a lot of satisfaction out of, but at the end of the day I leave the office/hospital and all of its bullsh-t behind and do my best to focus on the other aspects of my life.

I know a lot of people that pour their soul into getting into and through their medical education with a belief that "if I finally become the doctor I've always wanted to be, I'll be truly happy." That's unfortunately just as untrue as "I'll finally be happy once I find a husband/wife."

/I know we're not talking on the same plane, but it's a point I like to make when I talk to people considering medicine.

Dr Van Helsing

I'm already skeptical.
Removed
Nov 16, 2014
LV
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly it IS just a job.

It's a job I've worked my ass off for, a job I'm passionate about, and a job that I get a lot of satisfaction out of, but at the end of the day I leave the office/hospital and all of its bullsh-t behind and do my best to focus on the other aspects of my life.

I know a lot of people that pour their soul into getting into and through their medical education with a belief that "if I finally become the doctor I've always wanted to be, I'll be truly happy." That's unfortunately just as untrue as "I'll finally be happy once I find a husband/wife."

/I know we're not talking on the same plane, but it's a point I like to make when I talk to people considering medicine.
Exactly, people are going to end up like Cristina Yang with those ideas.
And Yang did well, but she was utterly alone.

Reactions: tima
Oct 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Physicians have the highest rate of suicide. Tis a miserable career. Sure you make decent money after FOREVER, but you still have compounding loans. If I were to go back to undergrad, I'd probably pursue a degree in finance or maybe medical lab science or something. Bankers don't need to get up at 4am because someone had a stroke and the ER docs wanted a "consult".
Lol it's still tough to do both of your alternates (I have experience). When you spend a lot of years in them, choosing what to do next is what bites. A physician can work at a practice or a hospital but your two alternatives have limited job settings (especially when you want to seek retirement and develop seniority so you can secure your future through the workplace). No matter what you do, I think that you all need to suck it up and understand the privilege you have as a physician. Just recently someone fell in front of me at a work setting while I was touring as a professional. I was the first one to race up to that person and start attempting to make her pain less by preventing her from jerking further. When I saw how that lady was later delivered medical care, I appreciated the quick response and wished I could ensure the same level of trust in that person as a doctor. You all need to go work before medical school, then you'll understand what you should be doing and what you shouldn't. That doesn't make the alternatives seem less in status, they just don't seem the right fit then for your personality. Oh and rotation mentors (no matter what medical setting) will usually be too busy to teach you much unless you go and be on job training (which is not considered residency). So if you think you're being ignored, self-study because that's what everyone does. It is frustrating but you know what, do what you gotta do. Remember that the more weight you take into your education, the better professional you will become. It takes extra curiosity and courtesy to make sure you get what you went into this field for.