Never Taking Anymore Science Classes. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have been taking 2-3 science classes each semester since the beginning to freshman year to my first half of junior year. I have decided to not take anymore science classes in undergrad so I can explore the humanities. What do you guys think about this idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, go for it if that's what you want to do. As long as you have the pre-reqs and get a bachelor's before you matriculate and have good grades no one really cares what classes you take.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, that's a good idea! You know, the best advice an adcom ever gave me was to stop taking so many science classes and explore other things. You have to retake all of those classes in Med school anyway. Just make sure you have the pre-req requirements.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good idea because psych/sociology is on the MCAT and also many schools require or recommend a few psych/sociology courses. Just make sure the pre-reqs are completed along with a few other upper level sciences like immunology, genetics, biochem, histology,etc (around 2-3)

It's fine! It's what I basically did during my last years as an undergrad. I'd recommend Sociology and Psychology courses! Both are useful for MCAT preparation and life in general

Don't do it or you'll tank your GPA and end up like http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/losing-upward-trend-having-terrible-semester.1168038/. Exploring is good, but only in areas at least tangentially related to your major. Outside that is just risky.
This is ******ed. Most people are capable of handling multiple disciplines if they're not too advanced. Only a select few are remarkably unidimensional and can't handle anything beyond their selected field of study. If OP is getting sick of science, he's very likely "normal" and could handle some other courses just as well as s/he did the sciences.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, so I have been taking 2-3 science classes each semester since the beginning to freshman year to my first half of junior year. I have decided to not take anymore science classes in undergrad so I can explore the humanities. What do you guys think about this idea?
Advanced bio classes and biochemistry? If yes, then you're good

Most people are capable of handling multiple disciplines if they're not too advanced.

Aka those intro level courses that are part of the discipline in name only. Point taken. These "popular" courses (eg. introductory chemistry, a chemistry course without math) are usually taken to pad one's GPA and are a terrible way to explore a field of study. Presumably not what the OP has in mind.

Aka those intro level courses that are part of the discipline in name only. Point taken. These "popular" courses (eg. introductory chemistry, a chemistry course without math) are usually taken to pad one's GPA and are a terrible way to explore a field of study. Presumably not what the OP has in mind.
We are talking about non-science courses that are not like senior level seminars or something, not watered down science classes? Most 200/300 level social sciences or humanities courses offer much for the regular premed to learn from.

All my non science classes next semester are 200/300 levels. And I will not take any humanities classes that I know I will fail so I am exploring within my comfort zone. My upper level courses outside the prereqs are only Biochem and Ecology. I just do not want to be taking any more classes with premeds and want to learn once for the sake of learning.

Reactions: 1 user
It was an analogy. *Whoosh*

All my non science classes next semester are 200/300 levels. And I will not take any humanities classes that I know I will fail so I am exploring within my comfort zone. My upper level courses outside the prereqs are only Biochem and Ecology. I just do not want to be taking any more classes with premeds and want to learn once for the sake of learning.
Might want to reconsider medical school if you dislike science courses that strongly. You'll have to take a lot more science classes there alongside tons of medical students who are eager to study science for the sake of learning.

Might want to reconsider medical school if you dislike science courses that strongly. You'll have to take a lot more science classes there alongside tons of medical students who are eager to study science for the sake of learning.

No one is eager to study "for the sake of learning" in medical school, or only a tiny minority. Ask anyone, it's a chore.

And it's a good reason to explore other fields before being pigeon-holed into basic science/medicine, don't you think?

Reactions: 1 user
It was an analogy. *Whoosh*

Learning is a means to an end in medical school, precisely that is what being in professional school means. That's why undergrad exists. Not to be an extension of or pressure cooker for medical school but to be a separate and individual period of learning for the student.

It's a great idea to explore other stuff

And it's a good reason to explore other fields before being pigeon-holed into basic science/medicine, don't you think?
Other fields, sure. The humanities, in particular? Not particularly.

Learning is a means to an end in medical school, precisely that is what being in professional school means. That's why undergrad exists. Not to be an extension of or pressure cooker for medical school but to be a separate and individual period of learning for the student.
It's a great idea to explore other stuff
Ultimately, most everything in life is a means to some end, including undergrad. Learning is a continuous process that continues throughout all of this. One doesn't stop exploring once one is admitted to medical school.

Other fields, sure. The humanities, in particular? Not particularly.

That's your opinion. OP is interested in exploring humanities, and you're telling him it might tank his GPA? Telling him he won't match up to his fellow medical students when he matriculates? Do you realize how many non-science majors go into medicine? You're starting to sound like that advisor of yours who told you that you shouldn't take the courses you wanted to take.

Reactions: 1 users
Great idea. Science classes are hard and you'll get more science than you'd ever wanted in medical school