USMLE/COMLEX New, 2011 Edition of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Audio Review! Discussion Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
****** After March 18, 2011 - FIND UPDATED INFO AT - http://www.ApolloAudiobooks.com ******

Apollo will be giving away Six (6) "USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Packages" and Six (6) "USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Packages" to 12 lucky members! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion on the Apollo Audiobooks USMLE-related forums. Step 1 Audio products will be raffled for posts on Step 1-related threads, and Step 2 Audio packages will be raffled for posts on Step 2-related threads. Each Total Audio Package is approximately a $350.00 value.

Apollo Audiobooks, LLC is happy to announce the release of:

The NEW, Updated Gold Standard Step 1 of the Medical Boards Audio, 2011 Edition

This updated and revised edition of the Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Audio Review contains the following:

• Over 82 hours of Step 1 USMLE Audio Review
  • INCLUDING over 9 hours of totally new material
  • INCLUDING 14 Bonus Sets (over 13 hours) of Step 1 Material from Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine FREE
  • PLUS 150% "FAST Speed" version included for FREE
  • PLUS 300 page Step 1 Reference Manual PDF document FREE

What is different about the New, 2011 Edition of the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review?

Over 9 Hours of Totally New Material!

At Apollo Audiobooks, we have been working hard to "fill in the gaps" in the Gold Standard Audio USMLE Review series. In order to accomplish this goal, we have recorded for the Gold Standard 2011 Edition over 9 hours of all-new material. Subjects covered include previously missing topics in Pharmacology and Pathology.

14 Bonus Sets (over 13 hours) of Step 1 Material from Foundations of Medicine FREE

In addition, we have taken some of the very best, most USMLE Step 1 specific audio review tracks from the Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine program and integrated them into the Gold Standard Step 1 Audio Review.

Why? Because for years the Foundations of Medicine program has been suggested to students as a "great review for the USMLE Step 1 or Step 2." However, most students, not knowing if the material is right for them, never get the program, and miss out on a lot of great Step 1 audio review material. Therefore, we have taken the following sections from Foundations and Added them to the Gold Standard Step 1 Audio Review 2011 Edition:

• Renal Pathophysiology and UA Audio FREE
  • Renal Failure Pathology Audio FREE
  • Pathophysiology of Potassium Audio FREE
  • Growth and Development Audio FREE
  • Thyroid Pathology Audio FREE

What is the 150% "FAST Speed" version included for FREE?

At Apollo Audiobooks, we release all of our USMLE Step 1 Audio Reviews in both "Regular Speed" and "150% FAST Speed" for quick review. This means that you can take the entire NEW, Updated Gold Standard Step 1 of the Medical Boards Audio, 2011 Edition - an 82 hour audio program - and listen to the entire program in only 55 hours at "150% FAST Speed." Most audio learners find that their mind processes information faster than the speech of an audiobook, and this "150% FAST Speed" version of the program brings the speed of the program up to you speed of mental information processing. The "150% FAST Speed" version is included FREE with every Gold Standard 2011 Audio Edition purchase.

What is the 300 Page Reference Manual PDF document for FREE?

The Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Reference Manual is a set of notes following the material covered in the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio program. The Reference Manual currently DOES NOT contain notes for the 9 hours of all new USMLE Step 1 material. However, Apollo Audiobooks is in the process of transcribing the new material that it can be added to the USMLE Step 1 Reference Manual when a new edition of the Manual is release (date to be determined). Many students have found that following along in the Reference Manual and taking notes while listening to the USMLE Audio review are very useful. Therefore a FREE copy of the reference manual is included with every Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review 2011 purchase.

Get 40% OFF - Gold Standard Step 1, 2011 Edition - Sign Up Today!

Apollo Audiobooks continues our commitment to provide USMLE audio resources and review to medical students at affordable prices. When Apollo took over distribution of the Gold Standard Step 1 audio programs, they were priced at over $300 each. We immediately lowered the price AND offered a special 40% OFF incentive for email subscribers.

To purchase any Gold Standard USMLE audio review at 40% OFF - Simply sign up as an Apollo Audiobooks email subscriber here. Once you have confirmed your preferences and email address, you will receive a "Welcome Email" that contains special links (for email subscribers only) where you can purchase any Gold Standard USMLE Audio Review at 40% OFF (includes Gold Standard Step 1, 2011 Edition; Gold Standard Step 2, 2011 Edition; and Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine).

Keywords for this thread are - Gold Standard USMLE Audio, Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review, Gold Standard Audio 2011 Edition, USMLE Step 1, USMLE Audio, Gold Standard Audio

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My Personal Gold Standard Audio Step 1 Experience

I am a real fan of audio learning and repetition. This is how I used Gold Standard Step 1 Audio as a student.

Basically, I discovered that making audiobooks and listening to them three times was a great way to study and retain information. In preparation for Step 1 I made (for personal use only) audio versions of First Aid, Step-UP, a couple of high-yields, and underground clinical vignettes. I then added Gold Standard Step 1 of the Boards to these.

Using Gold Standard for USMLE Step 1 Preparation

My plan was to go through all of the resources three times in audio before step 1. So I made a plan. The Gold Standard audio program was actually 60 hours in length when I used it (and I would play it at 150% speed - so that meant it took 40 hours to go through the whole, comprehensive Gold Standard Step 1 Review).

So, in the month coming up to Step 1, I studied about 12 hours a day (8am to 8pm) and it took 3.3 days (40 hr program/ 12 hr per day) do go Through Gold Standard once - and 9.9 study days to go through it the desired three times.

Using Gold Standard Audio with Basic Science Classes

Actually, I went through it more than three times. because I started listening to Gold Standard along with my classes. I distinctly remember questions asked by the professor that I knew from Gold Standard (ex: Moraxella pneumonia in a homeless alcoholic, Indocin for orgasmic headache, etc. . .) So I listened to the audio programs that corresponded to the content in class.

When did I listen?

Well any time I was doing something that was relatively mindless. For example - when I had to mow the yard, I listened. When I went to the gym, I listened. When I repainted the inside & outside of my house, I listened. Turning my "down time" into "study time." I really felt great about it because I was "studying" whenever I was doing something else - very productive.

What did I Think About the Gold Standard Audio Format?

A lot of the program is "Question/Answer" format, which is useful in quizzing yourself. Lots of the topics start out like this: "This gram negative dipoloccocci. . . causes . . . is treated with. . ." Then you name the organism at the end. A good self-test as you go.

The 48 Hour Method

I once learned that if you learn something for the first time, you need to reinforce that knowledge by reviewing it within 48 hours, or you lose it. I would apply this to listening to Gold Standard (and you can apply it to any study method you choose). If I studied 12 hours a day, that meant I had 24 hours to study in 2 days. So I would divide 24 by 3 and study dividing the material into 8 hour chunks. That way in 2 days (48 hours) I would cover 8 hours of audio 3 times (my 24 hours of actual study time). Thus I reinforced the information before I had a chance to forget it.

Is Gold Standard Audio Right for You?

From my own personal experiences with Gold Standard Audio for Step 1, I recommend it to you. Back when it cost $309 for the comprehensive review, I would say "Only buy it if you are a die-hard audio learner." Now that you can get the New, Updated Gold Standard 2011 Edition for about one-third the price, I recommend it for anyone who wants to save time, study more, and do better on Step 1.

Find Out More About Gold Standard USMLE Audio 2011 New, Updated Edition Here

Best of Luck on the USMLE Step 1!

Last edited:
Using the New, 2011 Edition of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Audio Review! Discussion Forum

1. Feel free to discuss any of the Review Programs found at ApolloAudiobooks.com or 2011 Edition of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Audio Review discussed in this forum thread.

2. Have you used any of the review programs listed on the Apollo site? Leave your feedback! Tell us, other students, and the rest of the world what you thought.

3. RAFFLE: The USMLE Audio raffle prizes are discussed at the top of this thread. Check out these SDN forum threads to learn more about the raffle prizes: The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package & The USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package.

4. At this SDN forum thread you can See the Full Terms and Conditions regarding Email Subscriber Pricing, 2 Free Audio Downloads per month, and other disclaimers.

5. If you would like to make suggestions for "Corrections" or "Useful Additions" to future editions of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews, please see these SDN threads: Gold Standard Step 1 Corrections and Additions Thread & Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions Thread.

6. Most of all, Join the Apollo Email List!

At ApolloAudiobooks.com our opt-in email subscribers get some of the best benefits on the web! These include:
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLE "Total Audio Packages"
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLEHelp audio as a part of the "Total Audio Packages"
  • 40% OFF Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews
  • 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month
  • Periodic Discount Codes for an Additional 10% to 25% OFF
  • Product Updates and Notifications
  • And More...

that audio is really great. That's the best way to learn.I am preparing for Indian exams and it does really help.Thanks alot to apollo audio.

Members don't see this ad :)
That audio for the three steps was awesome. Thank you apollo audio! It does really help me for my preparation for the Indian MCI(FMGE) exam. Thank you. I'd like to ask you if you also are planning to prepare some material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam too.

I had a great opportunity to look at Gold Standard for USMLE Step I and can immediately tell a difference in the basic understanding I have in physiology. I've listened to Cardiovascular Physiology and Respiratory Physiology extensively, as I felt I struggled in those key aspects in my undergraduate education. I feel I can better understand the pathology of diseases much more clearly, professionally and scientifically using the accompanying text. It has been such a great opportunity to recap what I've been learning about in medical school every time I turn on the truck to drive anywhere!

Also, the accompanying text is intricately linked and referenced to specific tracks in the audio package, so if something doesn't make sense, I know right where to reference the material.

Thanks Dr. Anderson. I am very confident my Board Score will improve directly because of this program!

First of all, I am taking Step 1 this coming June and am very excited to use your product. As a music major in undergrad, I have always felt that I am an auditory learner, so I was thrilled to find your product (and positive reviews).

I actually purchased the Gold Standard Step 1 audio on February 10th. My question is this: is the version I purchased the new 2011 version? I looked back on my emailed receipt and couldn't find this info. I would like to have the most up-to-date version as possible! Also, I found the files at increased speed, but didn't see the same audio files at the normal speed: am I missing something?

Thanks for everything!

Brrooother

What exactly does the reference manual contain?

What is in the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Step 1 Reference Manual?

The Gold Standard Step 1 Reference Manual is a scanned PDF copy of a set of notes that follows the Gold Standard Step 1 Audio program closely. The USMLE Step 1 Reference Manual contains an outline that presents much of the same information that is in the audio - but in a different format. Very simply - it is to be used as a "reference" along with the audio - but not to supplant it or be used alone.

The Gold Standard Audio - is in Q & A Format - The manual is in outline format
The Gold Standard Audio - has no diagrams - The manual does (like the brachial plexus)
The Gold Standard Audio - covers the material in the most detail - The manual covers the main points

How I used the Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Reference Manual

When I was a student the Gold Standard Step 1 Reference Manual was a printed text and mailed along with the audio CDs or Cassettes of the Gold Standard Audio. Today the manual is a scanned .pdf document that is included with the audio files you download when purchasing Gold Standard Step 1 of the Medical Boards Audio MP3s. This is how I used the Step 1 Manual:

• When the USMLE was nearing, I sat in a quiet room with the audio on and manual open
  • I would take notes of hard-to-remember points in the reference manual margins.
  • I would circle or underline important topics as they were covered.
  • I would star points that I needed to pay special attention to my 2nd and 3rd time through the program
  • I would repeat the process using the reference manual to guide areas I needed to pay special attention

I recommend you print the reference manual out and use as described above

The manual is NOT a transcription. It is a manual that contains key points covered in the audio.

Currently we are working on a transcription of the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio - and the transcription will be an estimated 1000 pages! So...

The Gold Standard Audio is essentially 1000 pages of USMLE Review
The Gold Standard Reference Manual is a summary of much of that material

You can contribute to the Gold Standard Transcription Project Here:
http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=243

Wishing you the best on the USMLE!

http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/

Stark

Last edited:
I have downloaded some audio like Heart failure, Cyanosis and Hypoxia. I wanna say thank you to Apollo for the free audio.

You're Welcome. This is a good point. If you can't purchase the entire Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review or Apollo's USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package - you can simply sign up for "2 FREE Downloads per Month" and test out the programs for FREE here ----> http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27.

My roomate was laugh at me because she think that 'i just listen to any music'
I also play that audio when i'm in the bed. haha..

I did the same thing - listening all the time and even in bed, and some students - not all - also laughed at the idea. However, I did gradate number 7 in my class and I made excellent USMLE Step Scores.

The topic, the question on that audio really excellent for me.

This is one of the keys to the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Review programs. Topic/Question/Pause/Answer - then usually a summary. The whole thing is designed to maximize retention of the material. Check out these FREE Podcasts about the Question/Pause/Answer Format:

Time Management and Study Techniques
&
Gold Standard USMLE

Wishing Everybody USMLE Success!

http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com

Stark

First of all, I am taking Step 1 this coming June and am very excited to use your product. As a music major in undergrad, I have always felt that I am an auditory learner, so I was thrilled to find your product (and positive reviews).

How I discovered I was an auditory learner...

I too learned that I was an auditory learner in undergrad. Whenever I had an extremely hard test - such as cell physiology - I would make an audio recording of my notes and listen to them over and over until I knew the material cold. 6 months into medical school - after mediocre grades putting me below the 50th percentile mark, I chose to try audiobooks for medical school - my grades and class rank steadily improved - until I graduated #7 in my class.

Is Everybody and Auditory Learner? Will Gold Standard Audio work for everyone?

The answers to these question are "no" and "no." Not every student is an auditory learner - not every student processes things that they hear and internalize them. Thus Gold Standard USMLE Audio is a good option for people who can use auditory input in their learning process. My wife - she never (and I mean NEVER) remembers anything that she just "hears." Audiobooks would be a terrible way for her to study through med school (or for anything else). I on the other hand can remember a lot of what I hear.

Test Yourself - Are You an Auditory Learner

Here are some simple things that MAY indicate you are an auditory learner:
  • You can remember the words to songs you hear on the radio
  • You remember conversations well
  • You can quote movies (this is a guy thing - usually)
  • You like listening to the same album by your favorite artist repeatedly
  • You have enjoyed or do enjoy an audiobook in the car on occasion

I actually purchased the Gold Standard Step 1 audio on February 10th. My question is this: is the version I purchased the new 2011 version? I looked back on my emailed receipt and couldn't find this info. I would like to have the most up-to-date version as possible! Also, I found the files at increased speed, but didn't see the same audio files at the normal speed: am I missing something?

Thanks for everything!

Brrooother

• Regarding "Normal Speed" vs. "150% FAST Speed" versions of the program. Yes, you are missing something. Please go back into "My Lulu" at "Lulu.com" and check your downloads. I think there were about 17 .zip files to be downloaded, make sure that you download and unzip ALL of the files.
  • After all of the files have been downloaded and uzipped - drag them all into your iTune library.
  • Then sort everything in your iTune "by Artist"
  • The "FAST" file Artist name is "Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 FAST"
  • The "Regular" file Artist name is "Gold Standard USMLE Step 1"
  • After you have this straight - Create Separate playlists for the "Fast" and "Regular" files to keep them straight.

Is the Copy I bought in February the 2011 Edition?

No. The 2011 Edition was just uploaded and made for sale on March 7, 2011 to coincide with TPW 2011. The difference in the copy you have and the Gold Standard 2011 Edition of the Step 1 USMLE Audio is: the new addition has 9 hours of totally new material and 13 hours of USMLE Step 1 Material from the Foundations of Medicine Program. The good news is, you purchased the program as a slightly lower price. The bad news is, the new material is not included.

Wishing Everyone USMLE Success!

www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Stark

Last edited:
We just had a lecture in class last week all about Hepatitis that I had a hard time grasping, so I went to the audio table of contents, looked up where I could find a GI physiology review and another 15 minutes on Hepatitis specifically, and it helped connect the missing dots I didn't fully get from my lecture.

The relative ease of searching for specific topics and the cross references to the pdf review file are fantastic!

Thanks for the help throughout school as I prepare for the boards!

We just had a lecture in class last week all about Hepatitis that I had a hard time grasping, so I went to the audio table of contents, looked up where I could find a GI physiology review and another 15 minutes on Hepatitis specifically, and it helped connect the missing dots I didn't fully get from my lecture.

The relative ease of searching for specific topics and the cross references to the pdf review file are fantastic!

Thanks for the help throughout school as I prepare for the boards!

kirbyross - I had a similar experience a s med student. We were covering microbiology and the instructor was asking the class about some of the cardinal clinical signs of klebsiella pneumonia and the types of patients that usually get it. I knew the answer because I had been listening to the Gold Standard Audio microbiology sections (which are excellent).

Wishing Everybody USMLE Success!

http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/

ApolloUSMLE

This Forum is Closed after March 18, 2011. Please use these helpful links after this date to find:

USMLE AUDIO MP3 Reviews Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=75

FIRST AID for the USMLE Audio-Video Online Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video

USMLE iPhone Apps, MP3s, and Online Reviews Here ----- http:/apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=242

Best Books for USMLE Review Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobook.com/page.php?id=33

ONLINE USMLE Reviews Here ----- http://www.appolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video-Sample

LIVE USMLE Review Courses Here ----- http://www.appoloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=Live-USMLE-Step-1-Board-Review

FREE PODCASTS for USMLE and Med Students Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210#Free-USMLE-Audio-Podcasts

FREE About Gold Standard and USMLEHelp Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/blog/gold-standard-usmle-step-1-samples

FREE Time Management, Study Techniques, & Using Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/podcast/top-5-time-management-tips

2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads per Month Here -----http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210

40% OFF Gold Standard and Total Audio Packages Here -----http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27

Last edited:
Over 9 Hours of Totally New Material!

Do you guys update it every year? If so how long was the original gold standard? I think you guys had cassettes over 12 years ago when my brother was in medical school.

Anyways, solid work on the audio

FunnyCurrent,

The Gold Standard Step 1 Audio was released as cassettes around 2000. I actually used those cassette tapes to study for the USMLE Step 1 around 2002. The next big revision was in 2006, with new USMLE review material added and some old material removed.

Apollo took over distribution of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio review products in March of 2010. So, to be honest, I do not know how many hours the original audio review was. To the best of recollection, it may have been around 40 hours. But that is an estimate from a 12 year-old memory.

Wishing you all the best on the USMLE!

Find Gold Standard USMLE Reviews at ApolloAudiobooks.com.