USMLE/COMLEX New, 2011 Edition of Gold Standard Step 2 USMLE Audio Review! Discussion Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
****** After March 18, 2011 - FIND UPDATED INFO AT - http://www.ApolloAudiobooks.com ******

Apollo will be giving away Six (6) "USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Packages" and Six (6) "USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Packages" to 12 lucky members! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion on the Apollo Audiobooks USMLE-related forums. Step 1 Audio products will be raffled for posts on Step 1-related threads, and Step 2 Audio packages will be raffled for posts on Step 2-related threads. Each Total Audio Package is approximately a $350.00 value.

Apollo Audiobooks, LLC is happy to announce the release of:

The NEW, Updated Gold Standard Step 2 of the Medical Boards Audio, 2011 Edition

This updated and revised edition of the Gold Standard Step 2 USMLE Audio Review contains the following:

• Over 89 hours of Step 2 USMLE Audio Review
  • INCLUDING over 7 hours of totally new material
  • INCLUDING 9 Bonus Sets (over 9 hours) of Step 2 Material from Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine FREE
  • PLUS 150% "FAST Speed" version included for FREE

What's New in the 2011 Edition of the Gold Standard USMLE Step 2 Audio Review?

Over 7 Hours of Totally New Material!

At Apollo Audiobooks, we have been working hard to "fill in the gaps" in the Gold Standard Audio USMLE Review series. In order to accomplish this goal, we have recorded for the Gold Standard 2011 Edition over 7 hours of all-new material. Subjects covered include previously missing topics in Osteoarthritis, Atherosclerosis, and Points on Psychiatry.

9 Bonus Sets (over 9 hours) of Step 2 Material from Foundations of Medicine FREE

In addition, we have taken some of the very best, most USMLE Step 2 specific audio review tracks from the Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine program and integrated them into the Gold Standard Step 2 Audio Review.

Why? Because for years the Foundations of Medicine program has been suggested to students as a "great review for the USMLE Step 1 or Step 2." However, most students, not knowing if the material is right for them, never get the program, and miss out on a lot of great Step 2 audio review material. Therefore, we have taken the following sections from Foundations and Added them to the Gold Standard Step 2 Audio Review 2011 Edition:

• Cough FREE
  • Dyspnea FREE
  • Hypoxia FREE
  • Pulmonary Edema FREE
  • Fever of Unknown Origin FREE
  • Shock FREE
  • Abdominal Distension FREE
  • Anorexia FREE

What is the 150% "FAST Speed" version included for FREE?

At Apollo Audiobooks, we release all of our USMLE Step 2 Audio Reviews in both "Regular Speed" and "150% FAST Speed" for quick review. This means that you can take the entire NEW, Updated Gold Standard Step 2 of the Medical Boards Audio, 2011 Edition - an 89 hour audio program - and listen to the entire program in only 60 hours at "150% FAST Speed." Most audio learners find that their mind processes information faster than the speech of an audiobook, and this "150% FAST Speed" version of the program brings the speed of the program up to you speed of your mental processing. The "150% FAST Speed" version is included FREE with every Gold Standard 2011 Audio Edition purchase.

Get 40% OFF - Gold Standard Step 2, 2011 Edition - Sign Up Today!

Apollo Audiobooks continues our commitment to provide USMLE audio resources and review to medical students at affordable prices. When Apollo took over distribution of the Gold Standard Step 2 audio programs, they were priced at over $300 each. We immediately lowered the price AND offered a special 40% OFF incentive for email subscribers.

To purchase any Gold Standard USMLE audio review at 40% OFF - Simply sign up as an Apollo Audiobooks email subscriber here. Once you have confirmed your preferences and email address, you will receive a "Welcome Email" that contains special links (for email subscribers only) where you can purchase any Gold Standard USMLE Audio Review at 40% OFF (includes Gold Standard Step 1, 2011 Edition; Gold Standard Step 2, 2011 Edition; and Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine).

Keywords for this thread are - Gold Standard USMLE Audio, Gold Standard USMLE Step 2 Audio Review, Gold Standard Audio 2011 Edition, USMLE Step 2, USMLE Audio, Gold Standard Audio

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My Personal Gold Standard Audio Step 1 Experience

I am a real fan of audio learning and repetition. This is how I used Gold Standard Step 1 Audio as a student.

Basically, I discovered that making audiobooks and listening to them three times was a great way to study and retain information. In preparation for Step 1 I made (for personal use only) audio versions of First Aid, Step-UP, a couple of high-yields, and underground clinical vignettes. I then added Gold Standard Step 1 of the Boards to these.

Using Gold Standard for USMLE Step 1 Preparation

My plan was to go through all of the resources three times in audio before step 1. So I made a plan. The Gold Standard audio program was actually 60 hours in length when I used it (and I would play it at 150% speed - so that meant it took 40 hours to go through the whole, comprehensive Gold Standard Step 1 Review).

So, in the month coming up to Step 1, I studied about 12 hours a day (8am to 8pm) and it took 3.3 days (40 hr program/ 12 hr per day) do go Through Gold Standard once - and 9.9 study days to go through it the desired three times.

Using Gold Standard Audio with Basic Science Classes

Actually, I went through it more than three times. because I started listening to Gold Standard along with my classes. I distinctly remember questions asked by the professor that I knew from Gold Standard (ex: Moraxella pneumonia in a homeless alcoholic, Indocin for orgasmic headache, etc. . .) So I listened to the audio programs that corresponded to the content in class.

When did I listen?

Well any time I was doing something that was relatively mindless. For example - when I had to mow the yard, I listened. When I went to the gym, I listened. When I repainted the inside & outside of my house, I listened. Turning my "down time" into "study time." I really felt great about it because I was "studying" whenever I was doing something else - very productive.

What did I Think About the Gold Standard Audio Format?

A lot of the program is "Question/Answer" format, which is useful in quizzing yourself. Lots of the topics start out like this: "This gram negative dipoloccocci. . . causes . . . is treated with. . ." Then you name the organism at the end. A good self-test as you go.

The 48 Hour Method

I once learned that if you learn something for the first time, you need to reinforce that knowledge by reviewing it within 48 hours, or you lose it. I would apply this to listening to Gold Standard (and you can apply it to any study method you choose). If I studied 12 hours a day, that meant I had 24 hours to study in 2 days. So I would divide 24 by 3 and study dividing the material into 8 hour chunks. That way in 2 days (48 hours) I would cover 8 hours of audio 3 times (my 24 hours of actual study time). Thus I reinforced the information before I had a chance to forget it.

Is Gold Standard Audio Right for You?

From my own personal experiences with Gold Standard Audio for Step 1, I recommend it to you. Back when it cost $309 for the comprehensive review, I would say "Only buy it if you are a die-hard audio learner." Now that you can get the New, Updated Gold Standard 2011 Edition for about one-third the price, I recommend it for anyone who wants to save time, study more, and do better on Step 1.

Find Out More About Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Audio 2011 New, Updated Edition Here

Find Out More About Gold Standard Step 2 USMLE Audio 2011 New, Updated Edition Here

Best of Luck on the USMLE Step 1!

Last edited:
Using the New, 2011 Edition of Gold Standard Step 2 USMLE Audio Review! Discussion Forum

1. Feel free to discuss any of the Review Programs found at ApolloAudiobooks.com or the 2011 Edition of Gold Standard Step 2 USMLE Audio discussed in this forum thread.

2. Have you used any of the review programs listed on the Apollo site? Leave your feedback! Tell us, other students, and the rest of the world what you thought.

3. RAFFLE: The USMLE Audio raffle prizes are discussed at the top of this thread. Check out these SDN forum threads to learn more about the raffle prizes: The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package & The USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package.

4. At this SDN forum thread you can See the Full Terms and Conditions regarding Email Subscriber Pricing, 2 Free Audio Downloads per month, and other disclaimers.

5. If you would like to make suggestions for "Corrections" or "Useful Additions" to future editions of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews, please see these SDN threads: Gold Standard Step 1 Corrections and Additions Thread & Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions Thread.

6. Most of all, Join the Apollo Email List!

At ApolloAudiobooks.com our opt-in email subscribers get some of the best benefits on the web! These include:
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLE "Total Audio Packages"
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLEHelp audio as a part of the "Total Audio Packages"
  • 40% OFF Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews
  • 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month
  • Periodic Discount Codes for an Additional 10% to 25% OFF
  • Product Updates and Notifications
  • And More...

That audio for the three steps was awesome. Thank you apollo audio! It does really help me for my preparation for the Indian MCI(FMGE) exam. Thank you. I'd request you if you could also prepare some material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam too.

Members don't see this ad :)
That audio for the three steps was awesome. Thank you apollo audio! It does really help me for my preparation for the Indian MCI(FMGE) exam. Thank you. I'd like to ask you if you also are planning to prepare some material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam too?

That audio for the three steps was awesome. Thank you apollo audio! It does really help me for my preparation for the Indian MCI(FMGE) exam. Thank you. I'd request you if you could also prepare some material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam too.

Currently at Apollo we are working on written material to accompany the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews. At present, for each of the USMLEHelp Audio programs (all Five) you can find the USMLEHelp printed text to accompany the books. Go to the USMLE Audio Page and click on any of the USMLE Help titles and you will find a link to purchase the book.

For the Gold Standard USMLE Audio, Apollo is currently recruiting Medical Student Transcribers to create a working transcript that will be used both to update the program and provide printed materials to students like you. You can become a transcriber at our FREE Gold Standard Audio Transcription Project Page or learn more at the Want a Free Gold Standard Audio Review Discussion Forum.

Material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam?

After we have tackled production of the printed material - we may consider branching out into the Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam - but not just yet.

Wishing you USMLE Success.

ApolloAudiobooks.com

Last edited:
I really like the Q&A format of the current step2 CK audio. Instead of it being a lecture that you can zone out on easily it draws you in with questions and pauses. My advice would be to draw flowcharts as you listen if you don't have time to go back and listen to it. That way you can just review the flowchart in about 15 mins for an hour's worth of video!!

Looking forward to the 2011 version:thumbup:

I really like the Q&A format of the current step2 CK audio. Instead of it being a lecture that you can zone out on easily it draws you in with questions and pauses. My advice would be to draw flowcharts as you listen if you don't have time to go back and listen to it. That way you can just review the flowchart in about 15 mins for an hour's worth of video!!

Thanks alooch,

www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Stark

Thank you for the advice to draw flowcharts. I am really good at zoning out, and need some active learning, which is exactly what I need.

I know I benefitted immensely by transcribing some of the Step I Material for Gold Standard, and finding a way to condense that information. I hope to find the time between classes to transcribe another set or two for Dr. Anderson.

Random question that has nothing to do with anything, though. How do you manage focusing on the classes and rotations at hand, when it seems like the only thing I can focus on is looking at residency positions/options/future?

I guess I just get overstressed sometimes; Imagine that!

I really think that question/answer format is so much more conducive to retention, and more importantly RECALL. I'm positive I have a lot of information in my head, but the ability to RECALL that information is CRUCIAL to success.

Have you ever had the answer on the tip of your tongue, but just couldn't quite get it? This question and answer format allows me as a student to feel like I am actively participating in the audio lecture, and hence, actively recall that material when it matters.

It's all about ACTIVE RECALL, and Gold Standard provides a great opportunity for me to accomplish just that!

I really think that question/answer format is so much more conducive to retention, and more importantly RECALL. I'm positive I have a lot of information in my head, but the ability to RECALL that information is CRUCIAL to success.

Have you ever had the answer on the tip of your tongue, but just couldn't quite get it? This question and answer format allows me as a student to feel like I am actively participating in the audio lecture, and hence, actively recall that material when it matters.

It's all about ACTIVE RECALL, and Gold Standard provides a great opportunity for me to accomplish just that!

kirbyross - you hit the nail on the head. The Question/Pause/Answer/Summary method used in the Gold Standard Audio Reviews for the USMLE are to maximize recall and retention of information.

Wishing Everybody USMLE Step 1 Success!

www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Stark

This Forum is Closed after March 18, 2011. Please use these helpful links after this date to find:

USMLE AUDIO MP3 Reviews Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=75

FIRST AID for the USMLE Audio-Video Online Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video

USMLE iPhone Apps, MP3s, and Online Reviews Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=242

Best Books for USMLE Review Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobook.com/page.php?id=33

ONLINE USMLE Reviews Here ----- http://www.appolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video-Sample

LIVE USMLE Review Courses Here ----- http://www.appoloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=Live-USMLE-Step-1-Board-Review

FREE PODCASTS for USMLE and Med Students Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210#Free-USMLE-Audio-Podcasts

FREE About Gold Standard and USMLEHelp Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/blog/gold-standard-usmle-step-1-samples

FREE Time Management, Study Techniques, & Using Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/podcast/top-5-time-management-tips

2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads per Month Here -----http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210

40% OFF Gold Standard and Total Audio Packages Here -----http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27

Last edited: