New ABMS Addiction Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeniorWrangler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the American Board of Preventive Medicine has taken over Addiction Medicine as a multidisciplinary fellowship, there will be a practice pathway open for five years. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be open to DO's.
FAQ (warning: opens PDF): https://www.theabpm.org/ADM_FAQs_1292016.pdf

Is anybody planning to take this? Do you think there would be any downside to having the ABPM boards as a psychiatrist instead of the ABPN boards, since I don't want to spend a year in fellowship to do what I'm already doing?
EDIT: the subject should say "ABPM"

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any practice pathways open for DOs for any addiction certification?

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant certification without the fellowship. Practice experience+exam

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sorry, I may be mis-reading this, but where are you getting that this is not open to osteopaths?

Requirements seem to state:
1. Possession of an appropriate medical degree or its equivalent
An applicant must have graduated from a medical school in the United States, a school of osteopathic medicine, an accredited medical school in Canada, or from a medical school outside the U.S. and Canada that is deemed satisfactory to the Board.

You're right, I misread. That's good news, I thought the ABMS requirement closed it to non-MD's.

Not a psychiatrist, so not eligible to do addiction psych. I am planning to take the addiction med exam to certify via the practice pathway, probably next year (2018). I am already close to having enough contact hours after 2.5 years of practicing as an attending and will be starting a related fellowship in July of this year.

For addiction med, my understanding is also that it is open to DOs as well as MDs, and there is no restriction on primary board specialty. But it seems to me that if you're a psychiatrist, it probably would make more sense to go via the addiction psych route since your qualifications in addiction med might not be seen as equivalent to addiction psych by future employers. I get that you don't want to do the fellowship, but if you care enough about being board certified to go through the trouble of getting board certified, you might as well make sure you're getting the right certification for the job you want....part of why there is a practice pathway for non-psych people like me is that there aren't even any accredited addiction med fellowships yet.