New Admissions process at Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah I subscribe to the ADEA newsletter - so what!
I found this to be interesting. Anyone interview at Michigan and care to elaborate?

One practice that stirred considerable interest at the ADEA Deans' Conference will have particular relevance for AFASA members. Dr. Marilyn S. Lantz from the University of Michigan, President-Elect of the American Society for Dental Ethics, described the new admissions process at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry where admissions officers have added multiple mini-interviews (MMI) to their repertoire of assessment techniques. In six to 12 short encounters, prospective students are asked to talk through structured problems, which are designed to reveal the characteristics that faculty value most in their students: critical thinking, ethical decisionmaking, knowledge of the health care system, and effective communication skills.

MMI appears to have the potential to be a valuable approach to assessing these noncognitive abilities and may be a good predictor of clinical performance and ethical behavior. Dr. Lantz would like to see other dental schools use the MMI format. By tracking the outcomes and combining data from multiple programs, it would be possible to assess the reliability of MMI for identifying students who possess attributes that will enhance the culture of professionalism in dentistry.

Dr. Anne Wells, ADEA Associate Executive Director for Educational Pathways, is collaborating with Dr. Lantz on a workshop for admissions staff who want to learn more about implementing the MMI model. Individuals may register for the February 19-20, 2008, workshop in Ann Arbor, Michigan, by emailing Dr. Wells at [email protected]. Dr. Lantz will also present information about the MMI at the 2008 ADEA Annual Session in "Rethinking the Admissions Interview—Predicting Clinical Performance and Professionalism in Dental School" on Sunday, March 30.

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like grilling prospective applicants. Does this mean that if they get low scores they are automatically rejected?

oh my... talk about adding some more anxiety to an interview. SHESH!

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't new... I was there last year and they had the MMI going.

Not stressful at all, I enjoyed it. There still was a 20 minute 'traditional' 1on1 interview as well.

I actually really enjoyed it. You only have to talk about something for like 8 minutes and then you get to move on and talk to someone completely different about something completely different. It is nice if you start to dislike the topic they ask you to comment on and don't want to discuss it anymore.

It was a nice change of pace too. It does take awhile to get through everyone though and by the 10th person I was ready to leave!

totally agree...I really enjoyed the MMI's. Found it to actually be fun! Trust me guys, they aren't that bad at all.

I agree. Not as stressful as you think. It is very laid back.

MMI has been there for at least a couple years or so now... last year, MMI at UMich was a joke compared to the actual interview (where they look at your app). I totally BS'd the MMI scenarios and got by fine.

That's good, if you mess up once you have other chances.
Doesn't Harvard have a similar process as well?