• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

New ... advice about DO schools, etc

medboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
    Hey y'all ...

I am thinking about applying to DO schools this upcoming year and don't know much about the various schools. I know the basics - tuition, size, etc. But, in regards to rankings, or some schools emphasizing primary care or surgery etc, could some help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I don't know how competitive my stats are in relation to other applicants. I know the general acceptance numbers, but are my digits right at the middle or upper tier? 3.3 gpa 29 mcat

Thank you.

medboy

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    May 30, 2003
      negate my previous request about rankings. I just read an older thread ... but if anyone knows anything about some schools pumping out more surgery residencies or some having the connections for it ??

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 4, 2000
      www.pcom.edu
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        To answer your surgery question, the schools located in cities, the schools affiliated with large universities, and the school with a lot of alums will be your best bets to land top surgery residencies...these are also the better known schools.

PCOM
        NYCOM
        MSUCOM
        KCOM
        UMDNJSOM
        CCOM

Your numbers are fine.

About the Ads

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
        Moderator Emeritus
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 24, 2000
        1. Attending Physician
          Originally posted by JPHazelton
          To answer your surgery question, the schools located in cities, the schools affiliated with large universities, and the school with a lot of alums will be your best bets to land top surgery residencies...these are also the better known schools.

PCOM
          NYCOM
          MSUCOM
          KCOM
          UMDNJSOM
          CCOM

Your numbers are fine.

/sigh you forgot OSU . . . (again) :p

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
          Moderator Emeritus
          15+ Year Member
          Jun 5, 2003
          Crazy Town
          1. Attending Physician
            Here's my question: at a school like DMU, you have the option of doing most/all of your rotations at away locations. I'm thinking of surgery at this point, and I was wondering (how to put this?):

Well, does anyone have any numbers for DO students matching into (good) surgery programs? Better yet, can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, I'm wondering whether the away rotation thingy hurts or helps you when it's time to apply for residency slots, either in Surgery or something else ('cause I might change my mind)?

Thoughts?

Adapt

2K Member
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Mar 19, 2003
              DO schools are unique in that you could go to any DO school and still match surgery. I don't think any school has a better matchlist for surgery over other schools.

Having said that, it comes down to what school has better rotations sites and will give you a good education. Even that is relatively the same among DO schools.

To the OP, your numbers are competitive for DO schools. You should look more into what location you would want your DO school to be. East coast and the middle of the US schools have been mentioned. On the west coast you have TUCOM, AZCOM, and COMP, with COMP having the best reputation since it's been around longer than the other two.

DocWagner

7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Aug 1, 2002
              1. Attending Physician
                Of course as a UHS alum, I think our grads have done quite well and the school is well established(1916).
                Each and every school has its strengths, and as can be predicted, tend to have regional residency tendencies.

East coast PCOM, NYCOM are very stong
                Midwest, DMU, CCOM, KCOM, UHS, OU,MSU are very stron
                South, NOVA always strong
                SW, AZCOM, TCOM great grads
                West COMP, TOURO work with these guys occasionally
                I have zero experience with VCOM, WVCOM, Pikesville or LECOM
                These are my opinions, as I have worked with graduates from most of these schools. Personally, I believe these schools produce fantastic residents that improve year after year.

SM-UCLA tech

CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 22, 2002
                Chicago, IL
                  Originally posted by Slickness
                  DO schools are unique in that you could go to any DO school and still match surgery. I don't think any school has a better matchlist for surgery over other schools.

where did you come up with that? DO schools aren't unique in that fact. Any student at any medical school can match in surgery.

And there are schools which tend to match more surgical residents than other schools.

This goes for both DO and MD.

Adapt

2K Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Mar 19, 2003
                    Originally posted by SM-UCLA tech
                    where did you come up with that? DO schools aren't unique in that fact. Any student at any medical school can match in surgery.

And there are schools which tend to match more surgical residents than other schools.

This goes for both DO and MD.
                    Ok they aren't unique. As for some schools matching more surgical residents, I am not sure it differs drastically with DO schools. That is to say, the DO school that you choose won't matter. The board scores matter more.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.