New Air Force residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegunshow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I just noticed that the AF is starting a Family Med residency at Nellis AFB next year. Their website looks pretty good. Does anyone know if the Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital would be good place to train at or had any experiences there?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
I just noticed that the AF is starting a Family Med residency at Nellis AFB next year. Their website looks pretty good. Does anyone know if the Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital would be good place to train at or had any experiences there?

thanks

I know it is combined with a VA and that the ED is relatively high acuity by Air Force standards.

Hi! Just saw this post, my husband is active duty stationed at Nellis and I am a med school at Touro here as well as HPSP (Navy though). I do most of my rotations at the MoFH and LOVE IT. Lt. Col Crownover is the director of the residency and a wonderful person. He is very helpful, wants you to learn and excel etc.. I know that they are actively adding a new Peds panel as well as OB/GYN. There are building a new facility within the hospital to house the residency.

I don't know the specific info you would like but just ask and I can do my best to help out. I don't know how involved it will in fact be with the VA, I know there will be civilian nursing home patients and the AF side of the hospital has it's own inpatient service so like I said I don't know how VA involved it will be. I have done a few VA rotations as well and they are extremely hands on, so if it is combined I think that's awesome. If I were AF it would absolutely be my first choice purely based on the people and the great time I have had rotating there.