new AMCAS LOR LOE service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I looked through and searched, but I believe there are bits of information all jumbled up and I figured everyone would be interested in this. And yes, I've read through all 11 pages and counting in the sticky thread.

With the new AMCAS, I had a few questions.

All of this is with regards to individual writers (my school doesn't have commitee)

Once we enter in the info of our writers, are we required to assign the letters to each school before submitting primary?

If yes, are we required to have AMCAS receive the letters before submitting primary?

Even if we submit primary, is our primary considered complete without the actual letters received by AMCAS? (ie sent to schools for secondary decisions)

Thank you

PS. on a related note.

I took Biochemistry I and Biochemistry II, however, in my transcript the last I is cut off and shows up as Biochemistry I, should I write as such in AMCAS? They do have different course numbers (ie. 101 vs 102).

Members don't see this ad.

Very quick question:
I inputed all the names of the LoR's I have in Interfolio to the AMCAS application and I just bulk sent all the LoR's from Interfolio to AMCAS with only my AMCAS ID and my SSN. I did NOT include the letter request sheet nor the AMCAS LoR ID. This way, I only needed to pay $4.00 for all of my LoR's to be uploaded to AMCAS. I mean, unless the people working at AMCAS are absolute *****s they should be able to match my AMCAS ID and the names on the envelopes (or email) from Interfolio containing all my LoR's.

Will this not work and do I have to send all the individual LoR's separately to AMCAS with the LoR Request Cover Letter?

OK I just called.

Apparently we don't need to even assign the letters before submitting primary.

and Akzeno you can call them to ask but I would say to spend the extra money, this is seriously pennies compared to the actual app

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if anything has changed since last year's AMCAS application, but we didn't have to send the LOR's to AMCAS to complete the primary application. I don't remember anything on AMCAS that asked for LOR information.

All LOR's needed to be sent individually to all schools you applied to along with the secondary application after they have received your primary AMCAS application. This can be done using interfolio or your school's letter service in the premed advising department, if there is one.

I don't know if anything has changed since last year's AMCAS application, but we didn't have to send the LOR's to AMCAS to complete the primary application. I don't remember anything on AMCAS that asked for LOR information.

All LOR's needed to be sent individually to all schools you applied to along with the secondary application after they have received your primary AMCAS application. This can be done using interfolio or your school's letter service in the premed advising department, if there is one.

Yeah, this year they're piloting an AMCAS LOR service, and about 20 schools are participating. If the school is participating you are not allowed to send LORs directly to the school (from Interfolio, etc.) The letters have to be sent to AMCAS which then transmits them to the schools. Not only that but you have to get letter request forms and letter IDs for each letter, and then assign the letters to the schools participating. It's a huge ordeal and big pain in the neck. Why they ever decided to do this is beyond me (unless it's just to make more money).

Yeah, this year they're piloting an AMCAS LOR service, and about 20 schools are participating. If the school is participating you are not allowed to send LORs directly to the school (from Interfolio, etc.) The letters have to be sent to AMCAS which then transmits them to the schools. Not only that but you have to get letter request forms and letter IDs for each letter, and then assign the letters to the schools participating. It's a huge ordeal and big pain in the neck. Why they ever decided to do this is beyond me (unless it's just to make more money).
hey chad, do you know what has to be done before we can submit the primary? do we need to send in the lors or just fill out the request form and designate which lors go to which schools?

There seemed to be an option to send a packet of letters, would that work rather than doing them all individually? Anyone know if you can send them electronically from Interfolio?

hey chad, do you know what has to be done before we can submit the primary? do we need to send in the lors or just fill out the request form and designate which lors go to which schools?

I've heard different things so I'm not sure. I have a feeling they will probably let you back in to change your LORs even after you submit the primary. If you already have all of your letters lined up, though, then there's no reason not to list them. I do know that the LORs do NOT have to be in to have your primary submitted and verified.

I'm still at a loss as to why they didn't put the LOR service in a separate system, like the MCAT THX system. That would have made it a lot less confusing.

There seemed to be an option to send a packet of letters, would that work rather than doing them all individually? Anyone know if you can send them electronically from Interfolio?

You should only choose a packet of letters of you are getting a packet sent by your school's pre-health committee (with or without a letter from the committee). Otherwise you should list each letter individually and send them individually. And yes, you can get Interfolio to send the letters to AMCAS so it should be pretty easy for you. :thumbup:

Good luck!

You don't need your letters in before you submit your primary. Although you will want them submitted around the time you complete your secondary, just as you would for a school that isn't participating in the pilot program.

You should only choose a packet of letters of you are getting a packet sent by your school's pre-health committee (with or without a letter from the committee). Otherwise you should list each letter individually and send them individually. And yes, you can get Interfolio to send the letters to AMCAS so it should be pretty easy for you. :thumbup:

Really? I shouldn't choose a packet of letters to just be a packet of letters? Does it have to be a pre-health committee? Why not just a LOR service or a career center LOR service? If you select that option, it basically means either/or pre-health committee/a simple packet.

oh this sounds like such a pain. as if there weren't already enough things to keep track of. i don't understand this--they are obviously just trying to force people not to use interfolio.

oh this sounds like such a pain. as if there weren't already enough things to keep track of. i don't understand this--they are obviously just trying to force people not to use interfolio.

no kidding. considering there's only 20 schools using the service...it really ought to be separate or at least not part of the primary application. yes yes, I know you don't have to have them in but at the same time, it's still dumb to just tack this crap into the application when there's already perfectly good online services that do the same thing.

Really? I shouldn't choose a packet of letters to just be a packet of letters? Does it have to be a pre-health committee? Why not just a LOR service or a career center LOR service? If you select that option, it basically means either/or pre-health committee/a simple packet.

I'm not 100% sure, I would call AMCAS - but that's how my pre-med advisor explained it to me. I think with Interfolio you can pick and choose which LORs will go out, and in that case you'd have to list the letters separately as schools have different requirements. Ask AMCAS or the letter service you're using.

I hope I didn't make you more confused. :oops:

Thank god I'm not a guinea pig for this stuff. It was just Interfolio and away we go!

If the letter writer is sending directly to this AMCAS letter PO Box, there is no need for a waiver form correct? Since it isn't the typical letter service.

What waiver form? One that keeps you from peeking at the letters?

Yup. I'm guessing there's no need since AMCAS is only distributing to medical schools and no one else? But stuff like interfolio/career centers require it because you may have potential access to it?

Thank god I'm not a guinea pig for this stuff. It was just Interfolio and away we go!
Hell yes. This crap sounds awful. I didn't even have to mess with Interfolio. I just manually took all my letters to the Career Services department and had them send out my rec letter packets for $4 each after the first six. That was quite awesome.

I'm not sure if AAMC has one or not -- I doubt it. I know for my pre-med committee I had to sign a waiver form that precluded me from seeing the contents of my file, but I'm not sure if this will be included in my letter packet. If the letters are being sent directly by your letter-writers I would have them sign and date across the seal. If they're being sent by your university or another letter service I don't foresee it being an issue.

OK I just called.

Apparently we don't need to even assign the letters before submitting primary.

and Akzeno you can call them to ask but I would say to spend the extra money, this is seriously pennies compared to the actual app

Are you sure? I remember reading in the sticky that you had to atleast have them assigned.

10. Do I have to enter my letter information before I submit my AMCAS application?
No, you can submit letter information at any time within your AMCAS application. Please note that you need to comply with the deadline that the medical school sets for letters.