SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

New AMCAS question: What have YOU committed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MorganFreeman, May 8, 2007.

What have you been guilty of?

1. Absolutely nothing, you bunch of brigands.

52 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. Minor traffic violation (without going to court)

44 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. More serious traffic violation (with court appearance)

10 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Public intoxication

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. DUI/DWI

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. Illegal drug violation

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Any other misdemeanor (expound below if you like)

10 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Any felony

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman The Alpha and the Omega

Apr 11, 2007
    So the AMCAS has added a new question. In previous years they were only concerned about a felony record, but this year you must also disclose any misdemeanors on your record. So my question is, how many SDN'ers will be (or are slightly unsure whether they will be) marking things down in this category?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

oh boy...

*prepares for the flood of: I got a speeding ticket for doing 66 in a 55? Should I just apply Carib now? threads*

4. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Wow... this just makes my day:

Driving without a valid registration
    Speeding > 27mph
    Does it count for anything if I was speeding to get to OChem?

LOL

5. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    USA
    Next year it will be: Have you ever committed a thought-crime where you contemplated performing an illegal act?

6. Smpco02

Smpco02 7+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    I posted a misdemeanor on my application, and I still got interviews. It is important to disclose this information, not only because they do background checks, but there are alot of misdemeanors that will prevent licensing in some states. So even if you do get away with it, good luck with your $200,000 dollar loan and no job. For Ohio, check out Senate Bill 160, they have a list of crimes that medical professionals can be convicted of.

7. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids 2+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a-hole of the south, tn
    found guilty of cocaine trafficking....spent 10 yrs in supermax, out on bail - applied this year.

applied to 20 schools, interviewed at 19, accepted at 4 with two top 20's
    got two A-'s and a full ride. If I can do it, so can you.

8. etf

etf Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2005
    i don't have a record, but kinda wish i did. it would make me a more diverse applicant.

9. ssquared

ssquared Member 2+ Year Member

I've got a clean record too, but I think I would rather have super interesting ECs than a crime to catch people's attention! :laugh:

10. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit 5+ Year Member

Good to hear this info and realize having "a record" isn't a total deal breaker. I'll be marking down a PI. Do you mind if I ask what you marked down, and did they broach this topic in your interview?

11. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever 7+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2004
    http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/pdfs/OHCRC.pdf

Ohio laws to get a nursing license... is probably the same for Doctors. Alcohol related offenses won't disqualify you, though. One will not even be looked at, but if you have more than that, it might raise eyebrows.

12. Smpco02

Smpco02 7+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Initially it was receiving stolen property (felony), which was then dropped to driving with unauthorized plates (misd). I could of fought it but a $200 fine and a $50 expungment seemed more economical at the time. They threw me in jail because I repossessed a car, and I didn't put my repo plates on. When I'm swiping a car in front of a crack house in East Cleveland, the last thing I want to do is spend time taking the old plates off and putting mine on. Unfortunately the police didn't see my concern. The funny thing is that it never came up during an interview, but the B- (my lowest grade) I got in physics lab did twice. I guess the admissions committee likes life experience, I wouldn't suggest getting arrested though.

13. Funky

Funky This space is for sale 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2006
    NY
    so is getting a minor moving violation considered a misdemeanor? Just had to pay a fine.

14. Smpco02

Smpco02 7+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Driving a motor vehicle with the wrong plates is not considered a moving violation at all. Apparently it's a criminal offense which resulted in a fine and a record. They originally wanted to charge me with stealing the car, luckily I had documentation. Unfortunately I left in another car, thus the night in jail. I wish I had a better story to give those with more serious offenses some hope, but I don't.

15. viciouz

viciouz WesternU 2013 7+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Chino Hillls
    Well I have a serious question...

I was arrested for having a butterfly knife in my car, and although I didn't do anything it originally started because of a minor traffic violation. I spent like 2 hours in jail... and got a ticket with a court date.

I showed up for the court date... they gave me a small fine and 40 hours of community service.

So is this something I should include on AMCAS? Woudl they even know if I didn't even put in on there?

Also I remember, the DA telling me if I don't get into any trouble for a year, it would be removed from my record... and that was 2 years ago... so is there any way I can check to see if its still on my record?

16. voirlesetoiles

voirlesetoiles Focus. 5+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't think the criminal records office will tell you much over the phone, you might try... and if that doesn't work, go to the office and request a copy of your record... sounds like you should be fine

I can't believe they added traffic violations to the list, I guess I had better slow down...

17. Smpco02

Smpco02 7+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    If it was a misdemeanor, it will be on your record. Most apps asked if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor, but some ask about a felony only. Med schools generally do a background check so be honest, because I beleive they can kick you out for being dishonest on your app. As far as I know, you have to apply to get the incident expunged after a year. If you go down to your county courthouse, you can buy a copy of your record. Every state is different so who knows.

18. viciouz

Nov 7, 2005
    Chino Hillls
    how do i find out where the crim office is?

19. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh! 10+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Living in America
    Sounds like you got deferred adjudication, which is sort of like probation without getting convicted. That is, the judge defers making a ruling/conviction subject to an agreement like probation (i.e. don't get into trouble for xxx months/years, etc.) If you meet the terms of the agreement then it's like the judge never found you guilty, and you were never convicted. Although I'm not a lawyer, I think I got this description basically correct. You should find out EXACTLY what the legal result of your deal with the DA was. If it was deferred adjudication, and you met the terms of your "probation" (sounds like you did) you were never legally convicted.

20. viciouz

Nov 7, 2005
    Chino Hillls
    So how do I go about doing that... btw I am in Orange County, CA.

21. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    Well, I HAVE committed a few, but I have NOT been caught.:laugh:

22. Tired Pigeon

Tired Pigeon 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Or: Do you have a "friend" who has ever performed an illegal act?